The Yes’s and No’s of Tailgating

Aubrey Anderson, Assistant News Editor

Tailgating is a tradition at home football games where fans can get together with other families and fans to bond grill out, and get excited for the game. It’s meant to be safe, family friendly and fun, and Buena Vista University wants to keep it that way. In light of the recent controversies at Iowa State and the events that occurred during one of their tailgates, The Tack sought to remind the BVU community of the rules during BVU tailgates, which were put in place last year.  

For easy access, the rules for tailgating are located on the BVU Athletics web page: http://www.bvuathletics.com/fanzone/Football_Tailgating.

Some of the rules include:  

• The use of beer kegs, glass bottles, or any device to quicken the consumption of alcohol are prohibited. 
  • Open flames or fire pits are not allowed. 
  • No alcohol may leave the tailgating area.  

The site indicates that the tailgating rules will be enforced by the Athletic Director, Assistant Athletic Director and security officer on duty, and that “all individuals are subject to legal and University policies.” 

Jack Denholm, BVU Athletic Director, says that the safety and wellbeing of BV students is the top priority of the staff.  

“Both campus security and the Assistant Athletic Director supervise both ends of the tailgating area, while I walk around and make sure everything is under control,” said Denholm. 

The tailgating area is designed to be family friendly and open to people of all ages, as well as people from the opposing team. Denholm said he is confident that what happened at Iowa State wouldn’t happen at BV because the tailgating area is much different. 

“It is a more public area. It’s smaller, and it’s supervised by multiple parties,” said Denholm.  

So as students, alumni, families and fans gather during the homecoming game this weekend, BVU officials encourage tailgaters to check the tailgating rules and keep the event fun and safe for all.