BVU student arrested as suspect in campus explosion

Aaron Burns | News Co-Editor & Kimberly Nelson | Co-Editor in Chief

[UPDATED April 17, 11:10 a.m.]

A Buena Vista University (BVU) student has been arrested in connection with a small explosion that occurred on campus on Monday, April 15, at approximately 10:20 p.m. According to a report released this morning, the Storm Lake Police Department (SLPD) identified sophomore Matthew Hanson as the person who allegedly detonated the explosive device.

The police also released more details about the device itself. The device was a homemade explosive created from a flameless heater from a military issued “Meals Ready to Eat” (MRE) kit which was placed into a glass bottle. SLPD states that the device exploded approximately 10 feet from Swope Hall.

No injuries were reported.

On Tuesday, police also conducted consent searches of Hanson’s dorm room and vehicle where additional evidence in connection with the investigation was located and seized.

Following the investigation, Storm Lake Police charged Hanson with Possession of an Explosive Device (aggravated misdemeanor) and Reckless Use of an Explosive Device (serious misdemeanor). He was booked into the Buena Vista County Jail on a $3000.00 cash bond.

The Storm Lake Police Department became involved in the incident Tuesday afternoon when BVU Campus Security contacted them in reference to a report of a detonation of a homemade explosive device on the university campus. Upon arrival, police met with security officials who advised a BVU student allegedly detonated a homemade explosive device on the campus the night before. University officials were made aware of a loud noise on Monday evening, but it wasn’t determined by security until Tuesday afternoon that an explosive device had been detonated.

According to the Campus Safety Notice sent out to the BVU community Tuesday afternoon, the area the blast came from was located between Swope Hall and Dixon-Eilers.

Campus Security first became aware of the situation when they received calls from students describing a noise that sounded like a large boom. Freshman Bonnie Keller said she was in Grand Hall when she heard the explosion.

“It was a very loud bang, almost like a gunshot but louder. I definitely thought it was a bomb and looked out the window to see if there was smoke or fire, but there wasn’t,” Keller said.

Campus Security reports that there is no known damage to the university.

“I think, due to the circumstances and the totality of events and information, this episode rose to the level that we felt it was appropriate to contact the local law enforcement, and we are cooperating with their investigation,” Kirkholm said.

In the SLPD press release, Storm Lake Public Safety Director Mark Prosser stated that no evidence or information found yesterday linked the explosion to the Boston bombing incident that took place on Monday.

“During the investigation no evidence, information, or statements were collected that in any way connected this incident to the terrible bombing incident which occurred in Boston earlier in the day. It appears in our investigation that this incident was the result of an incredibly irresponsible and dangerous idea the student had on Monday evening,” Prosser said.

Photo courtesy of Flickr user alancleaver_2000