Students pick executive board for 2013-2014 Student Senate

Kait Christensen | News Co-Editor

Student Senate Executive Board elections were held last week. Several positions were filled, but one resulted in a tie and will require a revote by the student body this week.

The 2013-2014 Student Senate Executive Board members determined by the election include junior Caitlin Hoffman as president, sophomore Kirsten VanZuiden as vice president, and sophomore Lynsey Seuntjens as secretary. Sophomore Aaron Burns and freshman Meghan Harmening tied in the voting for the treasurer position and will be elected by a revote.

“The plan is to have a special run-off election between the two candidates to be held from April 24 through 26, much in the same way the larger executive board election was done,” current Student Senate President and senior Seth Lindokken said.

Because the general election for Student Senators will be held next week, April 29—May 2, the treasurer re-vote had to begin right away. This will enable the treasurer candidate not elected to still run for a Senator position.

“Regardless of the outcome of the election, both candidates will have the opportunity to run for general elections the following week,” Lindokken said.

The newly elected executive board members are excited for next year and have a lot planned to help the students. They are eager to assist students in any way possible to make the student experience better at Buena Vista University (BVU).

VanZuiden hopes that in her new role as vice president, she can give Senate more visibility on campus next year.

“I plan to market Student Senate’s name and make students more aware of what we contribute to on campus. It is also my goal to get creative and start a new tradition or event here at BVU,” VanZuiden said.

Hoffman is also excited to begin the year as president and spend her time helping the students.

“I will spend my presidency finding new, exciting ways to serve BV students,” Hoffman said. “The Student Senate is representative of the student body, meaning it’s only fair that we make sure each voice is heard. My ultimate goal is to provide outlets for students to express their trepidations so we can direct those concerns in the right directions.”

Hoffman also said she feels it’s important to build connections across the university, especially between students, faculty, and administration, to better the BVU experience for all. She also complimented Lindokken on his work this year, noting that he leaves large shoes to fill.

“I hope to continue his good work by making changes to some of the programs that aren’t up to par with what students want and need,” Hoffman said.

Hoffman sees this as her way to give back to BVU.

“Buena Vista has given me so much. The school itself represents community, family, grace, intelligence, and so much more to me. I think it’s finally time for me to give back. I hope that I can accomplish that through this presidency,” Hoffman said.

Any current Senator who wishes to continue serving or any student who would like to participate in Senate next year should get in contact with current Senate Vice President and junior Andy Schanbacher via email for details.

All students are encouraged to vote in this week’s treasurer revote and in next week’s general election.

Graphic by Keyla Sosa