Marathon bombing affects BVU community

Marathon+bombing+affects+BVU+community+

Kimberly Nelson | Co-Editor-In-Chief

Over a week has passed since the explosions at the Boston Marathon on April 15 injured approximately 140 people and killed three others. Despite the capture of one the alleged suspects of the incident, the tragedy of the event is still reverberating through the rest of the nation.

Boston native and Professor of English at Buena Vista University (BVU) Dr. Annamaria Formichella-Elsden heard the news of the bombing after an afternoon class on that Monday. Formichella-Elsden’s family lives in Boston presently, which caused some concern when she received a Facebook message from a friend wishing her family well.

“I was teaching a class, so I wasn’t online at all, and when I came back to my office, I saw a Facebook message from a former student who said ‘I know you’re from Boston. I hope you’re friends and family are okay…’” Formichella-Elsden said. “And so, of course, my heart sank. I had no idea what was happening.”

Formichella-Elsden immediately went to CNN.com to understand what was happening in her hometown. The news of the bombing at the Boston Marathon made Formichella-Elsden nervous because she was unsure if her family was safe.

“It gave me a real sinking feeling, and so I tried to find out if anyone I knew had been affected,” Formichella-Elsden said. “I was relieved to know that everybody I knew was okay.”

Formichella-Elsden, an avid runner and a marathoner herself, also personally knew some of the runners who participated in the iconic marathon that day, but later found that they had all crossed the finish line before the explosion happened around 2:50 p.m. EST.

Others at BVU were also affected by the news they heard on that Monday including senior Emily Erickson. Erickson, who is an avid runner and plans to participate in the upcoming Fargo Marathon, felt sympathetic toward the runners who were unable to finish the race due to the explosion.

“My initial thoughts were feelings of sadness. I felt horrible for those runners who had just completed that race or were within steps of crossing the finish line and didn’t make it. Making it to the Boston Marathon is a huge accomplishment, and for those runners and fans to experience something like that is so sad,” Erickson said.

Erickson did not know anyone who participated this year, but mentioned earlier on Facebook that she would hopefully qualify someday for the prestigious race.

“That morning I had put as my status on Facebook as hoping that one day I hope to qualify for Boston. My mom called me that night to tell me she was glad I wasn’t there and that I’m okay,” Erickson said.

Despite the impact of the Boston Marathon tragedy, Erickson says that it will not impede her training for any future races and still plans to someday qualify for the Boston Marathon.

“I am running the Fargo Marathon on May 18,” Erickson said. “The bombing of the Boston Marathon makes me more motivated to run for all those who were affected by the bombings and who weren’t able to finish.”

Erickson says that bracelets will be sold at the Fargo Marathon that have “Run for Boston” printed on them. Profits from the sales will go to One Fund Boston, which will financially help the victims of the marathon bombing.

Graphic by Keyla Sosa