Interim travel 2013-14: Take an adventure!

DOMESTIC

Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon (INTM 202)
This course includes observation of how people participate in gambling and how gambling is associated with social factors, as well as an examination of Las Vegas culture. Students approach gambling from sociological, criminological, psychological, gender, cultural, and economic perspectives. Group work on site is a required activity, and a presentation will be carried out upon our return. Trip includes visit to the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam. Course Schedule – 1/6-8: pre-trip class preparation on campus; 1/13-21: Travel; and 1/23-24: Presentation/Discussion on campus. Limited to 10-12 students (students must be 21 or older by the time of travel). P/F grading only. Travel costs: $1,850 (air, hotel, transportation, special meal, Grand Canyon tour, cultural events, and insurance); $500 deposit due at Registration, $1000 due November 1, and $350 due December 1. Led by Miyuki Vamadevan Arimoto and Annamaria Formichella-Elsden

New York City/Washington, D.C. Cultural Extravaganza (INTM 204)
This 14-day cultural extravaganza leads students in an exploration of two of the world’s most famous cities: New York City and Washington, D.C. In New York City we will immerse ourselves in the performances of Broadway and Lincoln Center, including musicals and dramas. New York is an international city, as our tour of the United Nations, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and Chinatown will prove. NYC is also a city of beauty and tragedy, as you will see in tours of Ground Zero, the Museum of Modern Art, The Empire State Building, Rockefeller Plaza, Times Square and Lincoln Center, among many stops. You will have free time as well to explore sites not on our itinerary. Washington DC is a city of history and our tours will take us to The Washington Monument, the memorials for Lincoln, Jefferson, MLK Jr, and the veterans of our many foreign wars. But history, here, also includes invention (as you will see at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum and the Newseum) and tragedy (as you will see at The Holocaust Museum and Arlington Cemetery). A trip to George Washington’s estate in Mt. Vernon is on the itinerary, as is a stop at the Capitol and a visit with our Congressmen from Iowa. Travel dates; Jan. 6-Jan. 19. Limit: 20 students. P/F grading only. Trip cost: $2899.00. Deposit information and due dates: $500 deposit due at registration. First half (includes deposit) due Nov. 1st. Remainder due Dec. 1st. Led by David Boelter and Bruce Ellingson

Storytelling with Walt Disney by Land and Sea (INTM 206)
The Business & Media Interim travel course examines the business and communication strategies of effective storytelling, and shares how “Walt Disney’s Way” can be used in any field of study or career. Specifically, the course will start at Disneyland in Anaheim, California, then move across the country to Orlando, Florida, home of Walt Disney World and extends to the Disney Cruise Line. The group will spend 3 days in California learning about Walt Disney and how he created a whole new art form to a new business of storytelling. The California leg of the trip will include Hollywood and both Disney theme parks in Anaheim; Disneyland and California Adventure. Then we follow Walt Disney’s dream to Orlando, Florida where we’ll spend 5-6 days on land at Walt Disney World. The group will then spend 4 days on sea when they experience the extension of the Walt Disney brand internationally on the Disney Cruise Line. The students will cruise with internationally known Disney author and historian, Jim Korkis on the Disney Magic. During the time in California and Florida, students will go “backstage” to see how theme parks and cruise line really work as well as visit with Disney cast members, historians and authors in storytelling, marketing, media and public relations. Course fee includes plane tickets, hotel in Anaheim and Orlando, Disney cruise, ground transportation in California and Florida, and theme park admissions at 6 different parks. The travel course will be 17-18 days (based on availability). Students are personally responsible for meals, personal items, and transportation to/from the Omaha airport. The trip will be from January 06 to January 21, 2014. Limit 10 students. P/F grading only. Cost: 3,650 for the California/Florida/Cruise. There is a non-refundable deposit of $1,650 due at registration. Final payment of $2,000 California-Florida trip is due on or before December 1, 2013. Led by Jerry Johnson and Henry Hardt

INTERNATIONAL

European Art and Culture (INTM 220)
Spend three weeks in six countries this interim! Tour historical sites such as Pompeii, Stonehenge, Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Coliseum. View great art, including da Vinci’s Mona Lisa, Michelangelo’s David, and the Sistine Chapel. Take a canal ride in Amsterdam, browse the leather market in Florence, and see Les Misérables on stage in London. The itinerary is likely to include cities in the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, France, and England. Travel dates: Dec. 27-Jan. 18 (flights permitting). Limit: 22 students. P/F grading only. Estimated cost $4300. Deposit information and due dates: Payment schedule: $1500 non-refundable deposit due at registration in late September. Second $1500 installment due Nov. 1st. Remainder due Nov. 29th. Led by Gwen Hart and Bob Ferguson

“Voluntourism”- Cruise through the Panama Canal (INTM 222)
Join us for a voluntourism trip of a life time. Volunteer in Miami, FL at a local non-profit for two days. Then board a ship which will make stops in the Cayman Islands, Jamaica, Columbia, Panama Canal Transit, Costa Rica, Mexico and Los Angeles, where we will volunteer at all locations. On the ship students will participate in class discussion and prepare for port stops. Estimated trip cost is $3,500 with travel dates January 8-January 26. Students will need to have additional money for souvenirs, 10 meals, snacks and other necessities. Limit 10 students. P/F grading only. Deposit dates are the following: Registration $1000, November 1 $1,250 and December 1 $1,250. Led by Matt Hanson and Ashley Farmer- Hanson

Holocaust Studies Travel Course (INTM 224)
This travel course is the centerpiece of the Year of Holocaust Studies. Learn about the impact of the Holocaust on Jewish life in Warsaw and Krakow in Poland, and in Prague in the Czech Republic. In addition, we will visit the sites/remnants of the concentration camps Treblinka, Majdanek, and Auschwitz. The trip ends in Israel where we will explore parts of the nation which came into existence, in large measure, as a political outcome of the Holocaust. Travel dates January 6-18, 2014. Limit: 12 students. P/F grading only. Estimated cost of trip: $4500 ($1000 deposit due at registration; $1000 by Nov. 1; $2500 by Dec. 1 ). Led by Dixee Bartholomew-Feis and Elizabeth Lamoureux

India: Delight…Excite…Ignite! (INTM 226)
India is like no other country on earth and this interim travel course offers the experience of discovery first hand. Spend time working in a school within one of India’s slums and help a child learn or fill a service need. Travel across India and discover what it is like to stand in a temple large enough to hold 25,000 people in prayer, to climb a fortress more than 2000 years old, and to behold the majesty of the Taj Mahal. Limit 12 students. P/F grading only. Travel will take place between January 2, 2014 and January 22, 2014. Estimated cost is $4300, with $1000 due at Registration, $1500 due October 31, balance due November 30. Led by Karin Strohmyer and Robbie Ludy.

Rwanda (INTM 228)
Join us in exploring Rwanda and her people! Along with traveling through the Land of 1000 Hills and studying the great tragedy of 1994 (and the diversity of responses), we will also spend several days working with a few nonprofit organizations dedicated to teaching nonviolent conflict resolution (groups like Football for Peace-Rwanda http://www.football4peace.eu/index.html, Memos http://memosrwanda.wordpress.com/ and others). This course will also include an animal adventure in either Rwanda or Kenya. Travel dates: around Jan 5-19, 2014. Limited to 8-10 students. P/F grading only. Estimated Cost: $4444. $1,500 deposit due at registration,$1,500 due November 1, with final payment of $1,444 due December 1. All payments are non-refundable. Led by Swasti Bhattacharyya and Wind Goodfriend.

International Experience: Salamanca, Spain (SPAN 490)
You have the opportunity to study in the oldest university in Spain, and one of the oldest in the world. In January 2014 we will be living in Salamanca, a beautiful World Heritage city well over 2000 years old, studying Spanish for three weeks at the University of Salamanca, living with local families in homestays, and experiencing the cultural, historical, and social traditions of Spain. We will also visit other important cities in the region on weekend excursions. This trip is open to all majors and all levels of Spanish ability. This trip will also meet the requirements for the Spanish Major, and an elective for the Spanish Minor.
Limit: 12 students. P/F grading only. Estimated cost: $3000-$3500 (Depending on Excursions, more info TBA). Base Price: $3300 (if the participants reach the 8 person minimum); $3800 (If the number of participants drop below 6). Deposit: $1500, nonrefundable will be due by registration; $900 by November 1, and $900 (plus the extra balance if the enrolment is less than 6) by December 1. Led by Bethany Larson and Scott Richey

SUMMER 2014 TRAVEL COURSES (MAY/JUNE)

Sláinte! The Irish Experience (INTM 223)
Leprechauns and magic, 40 shades of green and sheep on the road, pub stories and Celtic music: it’s all part of Sláinte! The Irish Experience. While students will enjoy exploring the Irish culture, landscape and learning a little Gaelic, students will also walk away with tangible evidence of their study. The focus of this course challenges students to develop published work for their portfolios and participate in public performances. At the heart of Irish culture is story, and our host, Mr. Batt Burns, is a well known seanchaí, or Irish storyteller. He will demonstrate and teach students the art of Irish oral performance. Students will both attend live performances and have the chance to act, sing, dance, develop and deliver their own stories. The other half of the community performance focus of this course involves storytelling through media. Students will locate, write and photograph the stories of community in the coastal fishing village of Sneem with the promise of publication in the Sneem Parish News annual magazine. Also in keeping with the community journalism focus, students will develop visual narratives for a collaborative book of photography, audio and visual blogs. Through it all, students will develop professional work while exploring Sneem and surrounding villages in County Kerry, iconic natural vistas such as Killarney National Forest, the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, and historic cities like Galway and Dublin. Travel dates: May 27-June 12, 2014. Limit: 20 students. P/F grading only. Estimated cost: $4500. Initial deposit—December 15, 2013 ($1,500); second payment—February 15, 2014 ($1,500); final payment—March 15, 2014 ($1,500). Led by Andrea Frantz and Bethany Larson.

Graphic by Grace Bodey