Behaviors on Saturday night RIDES bus cause for surveillance

Alexis Williams | Assistant News Editor

The RIDES bus, commonly known as the “drunk bus”, that transports Buena Vista University (BVU) students on weekends, has released information that it now records video and audio surveillance during its trips to and from the bars in town. Recent behavioral episodes on the RIDES bus have caused concern for the company, which it has communicated to BVU Campus Security.

The RIDES bus, the program that provides safe transportation for BVU students to local bars on Friday and Saturday nights, was designed to make sure students have a safe way to get around town on the weekends.

“[There is] nothing wrong with having a lot of fun,” Director of Campus Security Mark Kirkholm said. “Our number one goal is to ensure our students’ safety, and one of the reasons this information has been brought to our attention is because some behavior creates safety issues, and it is our job to help correct these issues.”

Recently there have been instances where the behavior on the bus has created a variety of safety concerns, causing the RIDES company to contact BVU directly about bus behaviors and safety, including the possibility of ending the service with BVU.

“For the first time, we heard a concern from the other side about the continuation of this service if this behavior does not improve,” Kirkholm said.

The bus is now under video and audio surveillance to better monitor the behaviors. Examples of behaviors that are not permitted and are raising concerns on the bus are crowding the entrance, exiting through the back door, fighting, vomiting, and letting non-university students ride the bus. There have been instances on the bus that have led authorities to believe that students are involved in violence, vandalism, and even assault in years past.

“The behavioral issues addressed this year are the same behavior issues that we have almost every year, and it is a good thing that we remind people of what the expectations are of the RIDES bus,” Kirkholm said.

Kirkholm said the main hope is that students learn to take personal responsibility for their actions and that they simply respect those around them, something to the effect of the Golden Rule. He noted that the surveillance is being put in place as a safety measure and will likely only be reviewed if an incident occurs that warrants it.

“When issues do arise, it provides us with a more accurate ability to understand what went on,” Kirkholm said.

Campus Security proposed four ideas to the RIDES program in order to curb the problems on the bus:

1) Campus Security will now provide professional staff on the bus infrequently to help monitor behavior.
2) Campus Security will work with students to educate the concerns RIDES has raised.
3) Campus Security has asked RIDES to make the students aware of the recording by posting signs.
4) Campus Security asked that the bus has more light during operations to make videos more visible if they ever need to review tapes.

Kirkholm also mentioned that an idea has been brought up to create “Rules for RIDES” to help students understand what behaviors are expected and what behaviors are not allowed on the bus. This education effort will most likely be led by Student Senate, but student input would be greatly appreciated.

Kirkholm noted that hopefully with more student awareness, behaviors that create safety concerns will cease, the service RIDES provides can continue, and the surveillance will serve as an effective way to further investigate issues. He also emphasized that it is important to remember that this transportation service is a privilege, not a right.

Kirkholm said the current status of the situation is that Campus Security and RIDES are trying to work together to continue providing a safe transportation program for BVU students.