BVU celebrates success of historic capital campaign

Kevin Coriolan | News Editor

Buena Vista University (BVU) announced last Saturday during the American Heritage Lecture Series evening event that it has exceeded its goal of $27.5 million by reaching over $30 million with its capital campaign “See Tomorrow,” making this campaign the largest in the history of the university.

“Surely a celebration runs best with a victory,” President Frederick V. Moore said during the evening gathering in which faculty, staff, select students and BVU donors, friends and trustees were gathered to hear the news. The festivity was during the second half of the American Heritage Lecture Series (AHLS) in which former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice spoke.

During the eventful day Moore announced that the financial campaign was successfully completed. “Because of you [donors], this is BVU’s time to shine,” Moore said.

Over $13,150,000 was raised to directly support current and future students. This money is supporting 22 funds for internships and research, 28 funds for global academic travel, and 155 new or grown scholarships.

There was $8,606,938 raised to support faculty, “the heart of our university,” Moore said. There will be 10 new or enhanced funds for faculty development. “See Tomorrow” will also endow three faculty chairs for BVU, a distinct honor for excellence in teaching.

Facilities, equipment, and technology will be invested in with $3,584,287 designated. The dedication of Peterson Field was funded by the campaign and included the new artificial turf athletic field and new field lighting added a year ago.

There were 5,656 total donors involved with this campaign for BVU.

Two years ago at the kickoff of the campaign during former United Kingdom Prime Minister Tony Blair’s address during the last AHLS, the campaign target was said to boost faculty development and student academic aid. Some examples of what the campaign will help with are internships, international study and travel, and undergraduate research.

The See Tomoorrow celebration took place during the evening session of the AHLS with laureate Condoleezza Rice. A dinner was held in Dows Conference Center following a question-and-answer interview between Rice and Associate Professor of Digital Media Jamii Claiborne, who was the AHLS student panel faculty moderator.

Graphic by Aaron Burns