Kiley’s Remix Playlist

Kiley Wellendorf | Blogger

There is something beautifully tragic about the way time passes us. Our days seem to intertwine together as time glides past us, but we are reminded that somewhere along the line, things progressively changed. I can’t explain why things happen the way they do, but I’d like to think that everything happens for a specific reason. (In fact, this is something I have always chosen to believe in). I believe in the beauty of first and second glances, blurting out what you feel unexpectedly, and surprising those around you – including yourself. Maybe that’s why remixes are created – as a reminder to let us know that it’s okay to switch up our rituals and promises. It’s okay to bend and break in the dark, to shrink under the spotlight that used to define us, and push away those who cause a whirl-wind of emotion. Some of the best decisions I’ve ever made were those dedicated to mixing up the normalcy in my life.

MusicCornerGraphic_Nov26_OL

01. “Radioactive Funeral (Imagine Dragons//Band of Horses)” – The White Panda

It was July, and my best friend and I were on our way home from a fireworks show when we heard this song together the first time. The moment the chorus hit, we both looked at each other and cried instantly. (Not only would we be leaving each other’s sides in the next month, but this topic was something we tried to ultimately avoid at all costs). Here was someone who made me feel better the moment I heard her voice, understood what I was feeling by just looking at me, and made me laugh harder than anyone I had ever met. This song represented two different sections in our lives; “Funeral” fit under the category of our younger years when we were in middle school, and “Radioactive” played all throughout the summer going into our senior year of high school. We were wrapped up in two separate time periods at that moment, and the emotions I felt during those three minutes is something I will never forget.

02. “White Walls (Dubstep Remix)” – Macklemore

I will admit that I cried my eyes out the first time I ever saw Macklemore live in concert. It was a December night, the timing of the concert was unbearably groundbreaking, and the tension wrapped around the night was something I’ll never forget. I had never been inside this “arena” before and I was surprised to find myself relating this building to an outdated high school gymnasium. (Needless to say – it was intimately tiny, but I think this made the atmosphere so much greater in the end). I had listened to a few of Mackelmore’s songs before his concert, but I was surprised to find myself completely paralyzed by his overall performance. He was raw, upfront about his emotions, and also honest about the likelihood of fame ever coming towards him. “This is the second largest show we’ve performed while on tour,” he said. It was powerful to be part of the, “calm before the storm” that completely changed his career months later. I think this is something I will always hold close because I was able to witness growth before change.

03. “Take You Higher” – Goodwill & Hook N Sling

It was my senior year of high school, and I wanted to change absolutely everything about myself. I hated my hair, hated my flaws, and grew tired of the approval I constantly looked for from others. I had spent a great deal of time retracing my steps and working towards bettering myself but never really figured things out until the second semester. This song brings me back to my adjustment period where I had put myself before others for the first time and ultimately leaned in and listened to what I wanted for myself. Some may say that this was a selfish time in my life, but I think there are certainly points in your life where you have to do what’s best for you. I hated being left out, so I stopped expecting a phone call. I hated the way I looked so I stripped myself apart and started new, etc. I wanted to be a new person, and this song represented the awkward growing stages of dropping my previous identity and starting fresh.

04. “Best Day Ever (Remix) Ft. Bleszt” – Mac Miller

One of the best things in the world is being the older sibling and having the privilege of watching your younger sibling grow up. I have a little brother, Ben, who is easily the most dedicated person I have ever met in my entire life. (Ben is not only the most athletic child but is also the smartest and most dedicated one between the two of us – ha). Ben and I grew up picking on each other, but our relationship has changed from worst enemies to best friends as we grew older. I think the biggest difference between the two of us is that we help each other out in different scenarios; while Ben spent his weekday nights playing sports, I spent my weekday nights hanging out with friends, working at A&W, or attending as many concerts as possible. This song reminds me of the first time I ever took Ben to see his first weeknight concert. Mac Miller was Ben’s favorite artist, and I was certainly not happy about attending a “rap” concert when I should’ve been studying for my biology test the next day. Although I was convinced the concert would be awful, I was surprised to find a sudden spark in this type of scene. Instead of crowd-surfing, sketchy mosh pits, and sweaty bodies, this genre of concert proposed an entirely new scene. Ben was so excited to see Mac for the first time, and I couldn’t have been happier for him. Little did I know that Mac Miller would soon become my direct link to him once I left for home for college.

05. Young Blood (Renholder Remix) – The Naked and Famous

The original version of this song was something that I listened to on repeat my entire four years of high school. I absolutely loved how happy this song sounded and I couldn’t help but smile every time it came on my iPod. This remix was on my iPod for the past year, but I never really noticed its importance until I overheard it again on an 8tracks playlist. Instead of carrying out its fast-paced, happy sound, this version offered an entirely new melody. This remix introduced the idea of a mellow, relaxed sound which sort of somehow made me think of the transition of moving away. The most beautiful aspect of this remix is that it reminds me of both Carroll High and Buena Vista memories which is usually pretty rare. I absolutely love this song, and both versions of it are honestly incredible.