Kiley’s Christmas Playlist

Kiley Wellendorf | Blogger

I honestly believe some of my happiest and saddest times of the year fall around the month of December. While the weather turns bitter and frosty Christmas lights are usually wrapped around light posts downtown, reminding us of all the mixed feelings we experience during this crazy time. Christmas time around my household always consists of last minute shopping and wrapping presents for my dad, stuffing as many hershey’s kisses in my mouth as possible, and listening to reruns of “A Christmas Story” on repeat. It’s tradition to open up pajamas on Christmas Eve, and it is also tradition to wake my parents up at four in the morning so we can open up presents. (As I’ve gotten older, it’s become more difficult to wake up this early every year). You’ll usually find my family sitting around the Christmas tree, telling my dog, Emmett, to calm down while sipping away at orange juice. There is nothing better in the world than being awake at four in the morning with my family on Christmas day.

MusicCornerGraphic_Dec3
01. Yule Shoot Your Eye Out – Fall Out Boy
I have always held Fall Out Boy close to my heart, and this song will always continue to play on repeat during the week of Christmas. I’m a sucker for acoustic songs, and I love how the lyrics twist together and poke fun at the “ideal” Christmas. Instead of sticking together on the holidays, Fall Out Boy wants your ex to crash and burn and never come back. I admire this unique, sarcastic twist to the Christmas-themed song, and I can’t help but smile whenever it comes on.

02. Boxing Day – Blink-182
I’ve become a pretty big Blink fan over the years, and I always find myself falling more in love with their acoustic work as time goes on. This song isn’t necessarily defined as a Christmas song, but it definitely has the Christmas feel – and also says “Christmas” in the lyrics. I’m a huge Mark Hoppus fan, and I absolutely love how he directs the song entirely throughout the chorus. This song is definitely one of my favorite Blink songs, and I think it justifies how age and time haven’t changed this band at all.

03. The Christmas Song – New Found Glory
New Found Glory has a way of making my heart feel full and completely at ease. Jordan Pundik’s voice somehow transports me back to the days where my best friends and I used to stargaze in the snow and plan our lives out accordingly. Somehow the idea of being young and naïve will always stick by my side – and probably make growing up a little more difficult. So, placing my middle-school-based band and the most famous Christmas song together all in one? How could this not result in absolute perfection?

04. Sleigh Ride – Relient K
The first time I heard this Christmas cover was in fifth grade at a department store in Chicago, Illinois. (Okay, I know that’s super lame, but honestly it was one of those moments where I literally had an out of body experience because of how cute the entire setting was). Imagine thousands of Christmas lights strung up and down Madison Avenue and a light snowfall across the entire city. (Yes, it was that perfect). I visited Chicago with my family right before New Year’s Eve, and although Christmas was already over, the Christmas spirit was seriously flowing all the way though the town. I highly recommend traveling to a beautiful place during the holidays – it’s definitely something you never truly forget.

05. “Little Drummer Boy” – The Almost
I will proudly say that this song is played throughout all seasons on my iPod. I was and still am a huge UnderOath enthusiast and once I heard about the Almost a few years ago, I was definitely quick to listen. Once again, acoustic music, ah – I love it so much. (I think every Christmas song should be acoustic, am I right?) Aaron Gilespie’s voice is simply beautiful, and whenever his voice gets louder – yeah, it’s just the best. So let’s buckle up and drive through the Swan Lake lights together and get excited about Christmas time.

Graphic by Grace Bodey