Creative students look to FACES to publish their work

Jennifer Galm | Blogger

Students who have created a work of art or have been busy with creative writing should consider submitting their work to FACES, Buena Vista University’s literary and arts publication.

“The main goal of FACES is to promote the arts, both written and fine arts,” said Samantha McGuire, chief editor of FACES. “[It] gives students a way to professionally display choice pieces. We want to give credit where credit is due and show our residents the amazing talent here on campus.”

The publication has been around for close to 20 years and offers students a way to professionally publish their work. An editorial board chooses from among the entries and looks for work they find to be most compelling and creative. A list of items that can be submitted are: photography, paintings, sculptures, drawings, pottery, watercolor, narratives, short stories, poetry, and essays. Artwork must be an original photograph, or a photograph of a visual work in jpeg format. All fiction and creative nonfiction must be under 1500 words.

Dr. Annamaria Formichella-Elsden, Professor of English and faculty adviser to the student-led magazine, explained that getting work published could be a great benefit to students.

“If you are a writer or an artist and you feel you have something to say, this is a chance to have a pretty wide audience. It is [also] a publishing credit on your résumé. If you are a creative writer, you’ll want to build up a publishing history. It is a good place for students to start,” Formichella-Elsden explained.

To help celebrate poetry month, a poetry party has been coordinated with FACES to help raise awareness for both projects.

“Students will have the opportunity to publicly recite works, original or not, to a friendly and supportive audience. Our activities are designed to bring out the creative side of students and help direct them into a piece of art. We are also hoping to draw in any last minute submission from those who attend the event,” said McGuire. “I am hoping that we will be able to host this event or one like it again next spring.”

The Poetry party will be held in the Underground on Friday, April 4th at 6 P.M. Snacks and drinks will be provided for those who attend. The deadline for submitting to the FACES publication is April 4th by 5:00 P.M. Submissions to the FACES publication are to be sent to [email protected]. Copies of FACES will be given to winning entrants, and extra copies will also be available in the admissions office and the Forum’s Information Desk at the beginning of the fall semester.

Photo by Scott Locati