Travel Trip Proposals for 2015 (Advertisement)

International Trips Interim 2015

Australia: Nature and Nurture
Neal McNabb & James Hampton
Travel down under to Australia! We will visit several exciting destinations throughout the country and focus on natural wildlife, aboriginal culture, and the convict origins of the country. Starting in Sydney, we will tour the famous Sydney Opera House, explore The Rocks, and travel to the beautiful Blue Mountains. Next, we will travel to Tasmania where we will visit the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary, take an Eco-Cruise to Bruny Island, and tour the Port Arthur Convict Settlement. Finally, we will visit Cairns where we will go snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef and stay overnight in the Daintree Rainforest. Students should plan to bring additional money for meals and souvenirs.
Estimated Cost: $5900

Spanish Immersion: Ecuador
Steve Mills & Calle Friesen
Spanish 490 is an immersion course required for the major and counts as an elective for the minor. We will spend three weeks in Ecuador, staying with a host family and taking classes in the morning. In the afternoon and weekends we will visit historically and culturally important sites, volunteer in the community, and engage the people and culture on a personal level. We will experience the food, the sites, the amazon rain forest or the beach while learning Spanish in the Ecuadorian summer.
Estimated Cost: $3000

Panama Canal Transit Cruise
Ashley Farmer Hanson and Julie Finnern
Come experience the multiple perspectives of tourism – the tourist, the businesses, the government, and the local host communities. Who really benefits and who pays? As we cruise from Los Angeles to Miami, we will seek out the stories of those who are often not heard including voices of: 1) various members of the host communities, 2) those who built the Panama Canal, and 3) our cruise ship staff. While visiting ports such as Puerto Vallarta, Huatulco, and Puerto Chiapas, Mexico; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Cartagena, Colombia; and, Ochos Rios, Jamaica, we will experience local culture beyond what can be seen from the cruise ship railing by partnering with established local organizations. Prepare to be challenged as we question tourism’s positive and negative impacts on people, culture, and nature. Travel dates are expected to be January 4-19 some extra money for misc. personal expenses is suggested.
Estimated Cost: $3500

Japan: Art, Culture, History, and Society
Mark Walker and Yuriko Togashi Travel Dates: Jan. 5-22
Travel to Japan to explore the beauty and majesty of old and new Japan including several World heritage sites designated by UNESCO. You will visit art and historic museums, Buddhist temples, Shinto shrines, castle that hundreds of years old, beautiful Japanese Zen gardens, Akihabara electric town, broadcast company, police and fire department, and K-12 schools. You may even experience Zen medication, tea ceremony, and martial arts demonstration. Finally you may have the opportunity to experience Japanese home life through staying with Japanese host family. Cost covers all transportation, lodging, group activities, and some meals.
Cost: $3500

Europe: Art and Culture
Matthew Packer & Wind Goodfriend
Approx. travel dates 12/30/2014 to 1/21/2015
Voyage to Venice, wonder in London, and dip into the Mediterranean Sea. For January 2015, travel Europe and discover the rich heritage in art, culture, and lifestyle of its cities including Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Rome, Florence, and Paris. We’ll also visit a German concentration camp and walk the ancient streets of Pompeii. See seven countries for the price of one. Travelers should be prepared for a full international schedule. Academic requirements include giving a pre-trip presentation, keeping a travel journal, and writing a reflection paper at the end of the trip.
Estimated Cost: $4500

Dare to Share: Service and Sun in the Dominican Republic
Ellen Holmgren & Robbie Ludy
Rather than only tour and see sights, this interim offering provides an opportunity to experience the Dominican Republic by developing global perspectives through personal experience. Service opportunities are integrated with hands-on activities allowing you authentic cultural exchange. The first half of this two week trip focuses on service work giving you the opportunity to work directly with local people (likely children). The second half shifts to an emphasis on cultural activities as you explore various parts of the country and engage in a variety of events designed to discover the wonders of the Dominican Republic. Events to include whale watching in Samana, a trip to the Jarabacoa Waterfalls, the Amber Museum, the Fortazela Ozama and touring caves with indigenous drawings. The trip may even include a cable car ride to the highest plain in the Dominican Republic.
Estimated Cost: $3200

India: Exploring Buddhism & Social Justice in India
Swasti Bhattarcharyya & Miyuki Vamadevan Arimoto
Travel Dates: 5-22 Jan.
This travel course provides you with an opportunity not only to see and experience the wonders of India, but also to get to know some of her people. We will explore various sites related to the birth and development of Buddhism, see the beautiful, engineering wonder of the Taj Mahal, find and watch tigers in their natural habitat. We are staying in an ashram and in the guest house on the grounds of the Tibetan monastery. During this time, we will have multiple opportunities to personally engage: 1) people who worked with Gandhi, and 2) people who live in the Tibetan community in exile. These interactions will enrich your understanding of social justice, Buddhism, and your place in the world.
Estimated Cost: $4500

Domestic Trips Interim 2015

Devising Democracy: Performing Rights
On Campus January 5-16 & Minneapolis, MN January 17-24, 2015
Bethany Larson & Andrea Frantz
Art, writing, political science, debate, acting, design, history, civic engagement and social activism are all essential to this course. By investigating performance and democracy, students will research the ideas that inform the Bill of Rights and will use that knowledge to devise an original, collaborative production through the use of “devised theatre.” Focusing on the current debates surrounding our nation’s founding documents, and utilizing improvisation, writing, and theatrical design, students will transform intellectual concepts into embodied depictions for the stage. The course will include a full week in Minneapolis, MN at the Region V American College Theatre Festival where students will participate in workshops, attend performances, and perform in the Devised Theatre showcase. The final event of the course will be full performances of the devised piece for the University Theatre season in Anderson Auditorium February 11-14, 2015.
Estimated Cost: $650

Field Experiences in Sports Marketing & Management (MRKT 353-1-3)
Joni Anderson & Scott Anderson Travel Dates: Jan. 8 – 22, 2015
If you are interested in a career in sports business or if you are just interested in hanging out with sports executives in a warm climate, this is the trip for you. Field Experiences in Sports Marketing and Management is dedicated to giving you a real-world perspective toward working and making a living in this exciting industry. The experts we meet with act as mentors by answering your questions and offering their insights as you work to develop your own career strategy. Not only will you visit with executives at some of the nation’s top sports teams, you will also visit a leading sport equipment manufacturer, a television network broadcaster, and other sport-related businesses.
The course consists of two plus weeks in Phoenix, AZ visiting with marketing and management professionals at major sports organizations such as the Arizona Diamondbacks, Phoenix Suns, Phoenix International Raceway, Phoenix Coyotes; the TPC Scottsdale (Phoenix Open); and the Greater Phoenix Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. Students will conduct preliminary research pertaining to sports marketing, sports management, recreation, and hospitality in the Phoenix metro area. They will write pre-interview questions, maintain a journal of their experience, complete a reflection paper upon completion of the trip, and write thank-you notes to the executives with whom they meet. Course Prerequisite: MRKT 306, MGMT 306 or Permission of Instructor
Estimated Cost: $1750

2015 Storytelling with Walt Disney by Land and Sea
Disneyland & Walt Disney World Business & Media January Interim
Jerry Johnson & Henry Hardt
The Business & Media Interim travel course examines the business and communication strategies of effective storytelling, and shares how “Walt Disney’s Way” can be used in any field of study or career. Specifically, the course will start at Disneyland in Anaheim, California, then move across the country to Orlando, Florida, home of Walt Disney World and extends to the Disney Cruise Line. Course fee includes plane tickets, hotel in Anaheim and Orlando, Disney cruise, ground transportation in California and Florida, and theme park admissions at 6 different parks. The travel course will be 17-18 days (based on availability). Students are personally responsible for meals, personal items, and transportation to/from the Omaha airport. The trip will be from January 05 to January 20, 2015
Estimated Cost: $3750

May/June 2015 International Travel Trips

Eastern South Africa
Rick Lampe, Mark Kirkholm & Melinda Coogan
The seventh trip to eastern South Africa will occur during May and June, 2015. The trip will include exploring the Zulu culture, the history of the British and Dutch settling South Africa, and exploring Provincial Preserves as well as the world famous Kruger National Park and animals…animals…animals.
Estimated Cost: $5900 includes 1 credit-hour of summer tuition

Iceland and Norway
“Viking Quest,”
Tim McDaniel & Wind Goodfriend
Travel Dates: May 24-June 2, 2015
You’ve seen Vikings portrayed in movies, and you might even have some Viking blood running through your own veins! Come with us to explore the rich and complicated history of Viking culture and conquest as we spend time in Iceland and Norway. We’ll visit Vikings history museums, important landmarks, and explore the geography of each country via boat, train, and bus.
Estimated Cost: $4664 includes 1 credit-hour of summer tuition

Domestic Travel May/June 2015

New Orleans: Justice for All? Race, Class, and Culture in the Big Easy
Jennifer McNabb & Neal McNabb
The first week of this course will be spent participating in various service learning projects with the Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal, while learning about the roles of race, class, and justice in New Orleans. We’ll spend some time touring Eden House, a non-profit facility serving survivors of human trafficking and prostitution, the Louisiana State Penitentiary, and several other organizations dedicated to justice in Louisiana. Furthermore, the rich diversity of New Orleans can be clearly seen in its history, language, food, music, and people. Join us as we also explore the French Quarter, take a tour of the Oak Alley plantation, speed through the swamps on an air boat, take a stroll down Bourbon Street, dine on local cuisine of gumbo, jambalaya, and beignets, and treat our ears to the sounds of live jazz. Course fee includes transportation to, from, and around New Orleans, lodging, most meals, admission/tickets for all group activities, and overnight stays in both Memphis and St. Louis. Students will need additional money for a week’s worth of lunches, souvenirs, and any “free time” activities in which they participate (estimated $300). This trip will take place in May/June 2015 and will be limited to 8 students. Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Estimated Cost: $2200