What’s next for BVU’s graduating seniors?

Catherine Rubino | Staff Writer

“What are your plans after graduation?” This frightening phrase haunts many seniors as graduation day comes closer. For many, the answer is go back home and keep looking for a job, but for three individuals, they can answer, I am moving out of state for a job, I am moving out of the country, and I am attending grad school.

Michael Boyle is a senior Marketing and Corporate Math double major from Perry, Iowa. Boyle has accepted a job with Epic, a medical software corporation, in Verona, Wisconsin. Boyle’s title is Technical Specialist.

“My job is to, once the medical software has been installed, be matched up with clients…and if they have questions, basically it’s IT support, trouble-shooting, and I will be matched with clients on one particular application,” says Michael.

Preparation for his journey has gone smoothly because Michael’s twin brother is also moving to the area with a friend who has taken over the task of finding an apartment for the three of them.

“Epic has done a really nice job staying in touch with me and providing resources about living in the area and working at Epic,” says Boyle.

His advice for other’s looking to find a job is to stay open to ideas and to trust that there is a job out there for you.

For senior Makensie Brown, the job that was out there for her was becoming the Profile Manager for Habitat for Humanity-Guatemala. For the next year Makensie will immerse herself in the Guatemalan culture and using what she has learned the past four years to create designs for different projects there.

“I am most excited about learning about a new culture and adapting my work for Habitat for Humanity,” Brown said.

Habitat for Humanity has been very helpful in the coordinating of her moving to the country, Brown says.

“It is difficult deciding what to pack for an entire year, luckily my boss has been working with me and helping me with decide what I will need down there and housing,” said Brown.

Brown’s advice to others looking for jobs is to follow your dreams and don’t be afraid to ask for help. “If it wasn’t for Professor Jamii Claiborne, I would have never found this job,” says Brown.

Now for many seniors it isn’t about getting that job right after graduation, but rather continuing their education and focusing on a specific subject. Senior Emily Dewall will be attending the University of Iowa’s Pharmacy school in the fall to continue her journey of becoming a pharmacist. It is a four-year program and she looks forward to meeting new people and making new friends. Dewall has been preparing for this next step by taking the classes she needs and taking the PCAT, Pharmacy College Admission Test.

“I have prepared for this next step by finding an apartment in the Iowa City area and working on my resume so I can maybe have a job during pharmacy school,” says Emily.

“If you are planning on going to grad school right after you graduate make sure you plan ahead by taking the proper tests (GRE, PCAT, MCAT, LSAT, etc.) as early as possible in case you have to retake them, figure out what schools you are interested in and if possible visit them, and apply as soon as you can,” says Dewall.

Graduation is a time of happiness and sadness, but don’t let the fear of the unknown get in your way of living your life and finding that special place where you know you belong. Whether you have a job, attending grad school, or you aren’t sure yet, there is something out there for you, you just might have to look a little harder to find it.

Graphic by Aaron Burns

View Comments (1)