BVU becomes first in the nation to offer TruePromise initiative

Madeleine McCormick | News Editor

Buena Vista University (BVU) is promoting a new initiative to help students graduate within four years and land a job within six months after graduation, according to BVU Director of Marketing and Communications Jennifer Felton.

The TruePromise initiative is the only one of its kind of all universities in the United States. It promises incoming BVU students three things: at least one internship during their time at BVU, graduation within four years, and the success of finding a job within six months after graduation.

The initiative was started in collaboration with faculty, students and the Career and Personal Development Office.

The initiative seeks to serve students by supporting them in every step of their BVU journey, according to Felton.

“Together, these three promises echo what BVU does best. By nurturing students from the beginning of a passion to a life-fulfilling, rewarding career, we are able to support them each step of the way. We chart this path to success with students and keep navigating it alongside them until they reach their personal and professional goals. We even adapt our approach to each student in an effort to be true to who the student is and who they want to become,” Felton said.

Every incoming student will be eligible for the initiative starting in fall 2016.

The initiative tracks students’ progress at BVU and will hold them accountable for that progress. Students will need to meet specific benchmarks each year as they near graduation in order to continue to qualify for the promises. It is crucial that the student and BVU uphold both ends of the promise, Felton stated.

“If the student meets all benchmarks, but is unable to secure a job that aligns with their major or enter graduate school within six months of graduation, then BVU will provide an additional semester of BVU courses free of charge,” Felton said.

The discussion about the value of a college education for the money that students spend has been a topic of national debate. BVU hopes to end this debate by offering this promise to incoming students and give them the best possible education for their investment in the university.

Felton says BVU will stand behind its promise and investment in the students in return for students’ investment in this university for their education.

“TruePromise will set BVU apart from other colleges and universities and show prospective students that we believe in them and their future enough to promise these milestones to them,” Felton said.

Photo courtesy of Buena Vista University