Seniors Keller and Wilkinson plan their final BVU Homecoming

Kiley Wellendorf | Co-Editor-in-Chief

Bonnie Keller and Grace Wilkinson beam brightly at the mention of the word ‘Homecoming,’ an event Wilkinson later claims is more fun at Buena Vista University than it is in high school.

Standing as the Student Activity Board (SAB) Vice President for Homecoming, Keller worked alongside VP of Traditions, Grace Wilkinson in order to prepare for the 2015 celebration. Keller is in charge of planning the entire week of Homecoming while Wilkinson’s event is specifically Friday night’s Coronation.

“As a board member, there’s a lot of work that goes into it,” Wilkinson said.

“It makes you appreciate it so much more.”

While most organizations start at the beginning of the academic year, SAB runs a unique schedule, beginning and lasting through the time frame of two January’s.

Tracing into the previous school year, Keller and Wilkinson first began working on Homecoming preparations in April, where they attended NACA, a conference dedicated to attention-grabbing performances and potential college entertainment.

From there, a handful of SAB members reviewed comedians, acapella groups, dance parties, and other events that could hold potential for Buena Vista’s intimate campus. Catering to the size of the university, Keller explains how SAB relies on responses and reviews submitted after SAB events in order to focus on what the student body is interested in attending.

This year’s Homecoming holds another level of importance for Wilkinson and Keller.

“After this we go into the real world,” Wilkinson begins. “Come May, we don’t get to go to football games anymore and watch people lip-sync, or even do fun activities every day of the week; we’re going to be working 9-5 jobs and not be kids.”

Avoiding adulthood as long as necessary, this year’s ‘throwback’ theme is dedicated to all aspects of being a kid. Featuring posters knocking off the well-known neon blue and purple scribbly design on Styrofoam cups, SAB made each event and advertisement technique catered towards the celebration of childhood memories.

While these events have been carefully created by Keller, this year’s preparations have been significantly different than previous years.

“This year has been a lot more difficult because Becka (Neary-DeLaPorte) is not here,” Keller begins. “It helps that I was in the position last year so I know the ins and outs of the details of what needs to be done.”

According to Keller, SAB uses Monday and Friday’s as rotating days where students can expect new events brought to campus. Last year’s Friday night event featured a paint rave where students gathered in the parking lot with glow sticks and anticipated the arrival of loud music and ice-cold neon paint.

This year, students can anticipate Throwback Time Machine Dance Party, an outdoor event shedding light to hits from all genres as well as screens showcasing the featured songs music videos. During the music event, Keller says the dance company will provide a ‘big red button’ that is designed for audience interaction. Once students hit the button, a hit single from a different time era will play and lyrics will be written across the large screens.

While students won’t have paint to wear back to their rooms after the event, Keller says SAB will be giving away  white ‘Xylobands’ and glow sticks throughout the dance party.

“At some part during the music, they all light up at the same time and are in sync with the music,” Keller said.

Before this Friday night event, Wilkinson will lead Coronation where the 2015 Homecoming Court will perform their dances and announce the Homecoming King and Queen.

“There’s a lot of work that goes into it,” Wilkinson said. “It makes you appreciate it so much more.”

Wilkinson and Keller both agree on the difference between planning Homecoming Week as a SAB board member in contrast to attending events as a student.

“It’s definitely bittersweet because it’s the last time and you want to make it the best,” Keller said.

SAB’s Homecoming events will be featured throughout the week and both Keller and Wilkinson encourage all students to try to attend.

“It’s just a great way to amp up and enhance your BV experience and take pride in your school,” Wilkinson said.