Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
When I arrived, to my surprise, a Piper Archer II had just landed and way taxiing back to the hangers.
Sunday's pit stop: A gallery by Joshua Tigges
March 2, 2024
A shot at partnership: BVU and Mercy College launch 3 + 1 nursing program
March 1, 2024
Hot Dish literary magazine submissions open
February 23, 2024
Stunts first home competition
Stunt's first home competition
March 22, 2024
March 2, 2024
March 1, 2024
February 23, 2024

AAUW’s Red Flag event provides sexual assault awareness

Dee Friesen | Arts + Life Editor

Sexual assault is not an easy subject to casually talk about. For some it can be incredibly difficult. However, the topic is important nonetheless; especially because it involves the safety of our fellow students.

Christyn Abaray is Buena Vista University’s Director of Athletics. She, along with the Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Campus Security, Mark Kirkholm, often present sexual assault policies to student groups and faculty members on campus. During our meeting, Abaray went into detail of the policies and laws that pertain to our campus around the subject of sexual assault.

It is encouraged that you read and become familiar with the Cleary Act, the Violence Against Women Act, and Title 9.

During her talk, Abaray noted that the majority of reported sexual assault cases involve one or both of the following: two people who know each other and the consumption of alcohol.

“Every single case that has come forward to us of sexual assault have those two commonalities,” Abaray said.

Consent. We’ve all heard this word over an over again, but do we really understand what it means? The following quotes are from the itsonus.org campaign.

“Consent is voluntary and mutual, and can be withdrawn at any time.”
“Past consent does not mean current or future consent. ”
“There is no consent when there is force, intimidation, or coercion.”
“Understand that if someone does not or cannot consent to sex, it’s rape.”

Take time to watch this 3-minute video about consent. Although it may seem silly to compare consent to tea, it explains it in a way that is light-hearted and easy to understand.

Knowing that every 1 in 5 women on college campuses are sexually assaulted, what can we do about it as students?

American Association of University Women or AAUW is a student organization that spreads awareness of women’s rights on many campuses across America. In the next week, AAUW on campus plans to take a stand against sexual assault and get the students involved.

Starting on Wednesday, October 28, there will be red flags outside of Pierce White with quotes and statistics about violence against women and sexual assault written on them. Each day the statistics and quotes will change. If you look carefully you will find a hidden message that needs unscrambling. Guess the message correctly, submit your answer to [email protected], and you will have a chance of winning a $10 La Juanita’s gift card.

If you have any questions regarding the Red Flag event, AAUW BVU has a booth that you can visit Tuesday, October 27. AAUW BVU hopes that you will participate in this event and take a stand against sexual assault on our college campus.

Graphic by Dee Friesen