Students abroad affected by terror in Paris

Madeleine McCormick + Ashley Lemke | News Co-Editors
Kiley Wellendorf | Co-Editor-in-Chief

Buena Vista University students studying abroad in European countries are safe and sound in the wake of the recent terrorism attacks in Paris, France, two weeks ago.

“We have all of the contact information for the Embassy and the U.S. Department of State,” Mark Kirkholm, Assistant Dean of Students and Director of Campus Security said. “If we need to get somebody back, we do whatever is necessary to get them back.”

Kirkholm says the university pays close attention to what’s going on in the world whenever a student is studying abroad or completing national travel.

In order to promote safety for travelers, Kirkholm is currently conducting safety presentations for the groups of students who plan to travel during January Interim. Some of the topics include traveling in a pair, intervening to help another student or even handling a mugging. The university pays attention to travel warnings, and all trips, as of right now, are planning to run in January.

While many of the BVU students are continuing their study abroad trips, one student, who was studying in Brussels, Belgium, is coming home early.

Lindsey Graham, a junior business marketing and corporate communications major, has been studying abroad in Brussels, Belgium, and had been to Paris just two weeks before the attacks occurred. According to Graham, everything was fine then.

“I was in Prague, Czech Republic, at the time of the attacks. I have many friends in Paris when the attacks happened, but thank God they were safe,” Graham said.

Fall 2015 (1446)Similarly junior corporate communications major, Samantha Hirschman, who is studying abroad in Italy, had also been in Paris just two weeks before the attacks. She now resides in Rome for the remainder of her study abroad trip.

“I have completed all my travels for the semester. However, it has caused me to be more cautious simply within the city of Rome. I’m now unable to go to the Capital Museum because there are going to be strikes and all transportation is down,” Hirschman said.

Graham’s travel plans were unaffected by the attacks as she returned to Brussels on Sunday evening having no trouble with the airport and security. Trams and busses were running as usual and she was able to return “home” safe without any issues.

“The first few days we were advised not to go to the city centre (Grand Place) or use certain metro lines, but now traveling throughout Brussels is almost like nothing ever happened,” Graham said.

While Graham’s travel plans were not affected by this tragedy, she was still concerned about her safety residing in Brussels.

Graham said that she lives approximately 15 minutes from Molenbeek, a neighborhood in Brussels that has been known as the “ISIS Headquarters” for the past few weeks. Additionally, several of the recent terrorist attacks have involved people from this neighborhood.

“This is very unnerving. With the Schengen Region (the group of over 20 European countries without border control), it’s very easy for the terrorists to move around. You never know where they will be at next or what they are going to do. You feel nervous making other plans to travel to other cities, or even the touristy parts of Brussels,” Graham said.

Currently Graham is on track to come home soon. Her decision to leave her abroad experience early stems from wanting her family and friends to know that she is safe and her feeling more comfortable at home in Iowa.

“In the end, I do think I made the right decision for me to come home. Not only with the risk of my safety, but to also be in an environment where I could learn peacefully. After the attacks, I was unable to focus on completing homework because I was constantly checking the news for where the next terrorist threat was,” Graham said. “Getting home will let me focus on my studies and be safe from constant worry in the back of my mind.”

Claire Boston, a junior theatre major and digital media minor, has been studying in London, England, at the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts this semester. She was there when the attacks occurred.

Boston says that BVU’s Dean of Social Science and Director of Study Abroad, Dr. Dixie Bartholomew-Feis, reached out to her and all of those currently studying abroad to check and see if they were okay, safe and doing well.

Boston and Graham alike said the attacks do not hinder their desire to travel. According to Boston, she will remain at LAMDA to finish out the semester.

“I would never put my life and dreams on hold on the basis of fear. I will continue my studies as usual and fully embrace and enjoy my last few weeks at LAMDA,” Boston said.

Meghan Harmening, a senior accounting and business double major, is studying abroad in Florence, Italy. She was at “home” in her bed at the time of the attacks and had no plans to visit Paris during her study abroad trip.

Harmening says that the attacks were a wake-up call and hit close to home.

“These attacks in Paris are an absolute tragedy, and of course it hit too close to home for me. Had I been in the United States, I would have thought nothing of my safety. But these attacks are just a few of the many that happened in the last two weeks alone. Our world is changing, and not necessarily for the better. I sincerely wish peace and blessings on those in all affected cities,” Harmening said.

Harmening along with Graham, Hirschman, and Boston all agree that the best thing to do now is “pray for peace.”

Photos courtesy of Samantha Hirschman