Plus/minus grading system receives mixed reviews

Holly Frerk | Contributing Writer

Buena Vista University (BVU) officially switched to a plus/minus grading system for this academic school year in order to challenge students and bring more accuracy to the classroom.

According to Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty Dr. David Evans, all BVU colleagues in the Iowa Conference and all three Regents institutions in Iowa now utilize the plus/minus grading system. There were many negative opinions expressed about the changes, mainly by students, when the process of switching to the new system began. Now many professors and students are learning that it might be a good change instead.

“A significant portion of the faculty believe that having a plus/minus grading system is ultimately fairer to students, as their final grades more accurately reflect the quality of their work,” Dr. Evans said. “We speak often at BVU about individual attention to students, and improved grading is part of that.”

The change was first proposed by faculty from some of the academic schools. It was then discussed at the Dean’s Council, sent to the Academic Affairs Committee of Faculty Senate, and approved to go on from there. The next step in the process was approval from the full faculty senate as well as the creation of the grandfather clause by Student Senate.

“Student Senate members drew up the grandfather clause that stated all current students would not be affected by the plus/minus system. They presented the clause at the Academic Affairs meeting and the Faculty Senate Meeting. The grandfather clause was declined. So, it now affects all students,” senior and Student Senate President Seth Lindokken said.

Some professors have adapted to the new grading system and some have chosen against it. There were mixed emotions about its acceptance, although some professors found they simply didn’t see a reason for the change in their own particular classes. Academic Project Coordinator Kayleen Grage expresses this viewpoint.

“I don’t use the plus/minus grading system because I felt that I did not have a reason to use it,” Grage said.

According to BVU policy, it is acceptable for professors not to use the new system as long as it is spelled out clearly in their syllabus or other related class material. Some have chosen to implement the system in their courses with underclassmen but not in those with juniors and seniors.

“I was surprised BVU didn’t have the plus/minus grading system when I first started teaching here. I feel the plus/minus grading system is more accurate, will make students work harder, and rewards will come to the students who work hard,” English Professor Annamaria Formichella-Elsden said.

The news of the change sparked students’ attention last year. According to a poll recently conducted via The Tack’s Facebook page, 63% of those who voted describe the system as “uncomfortable but bearable”, while only 17% of respondents label the system as “totally unfair.”

“I find having the plus/minus grading system will help me more this year. I think it will make my work harder because I will want that plus grade instead of the minus,” senior education major Tracey Ellis said.

“Having grades that more precisely reflect the quality of students’ work in their classes attends to them as individuals. In addition, plus/minus grading is clearly the standard in higher education,” Dr. Evans said.

Photo by Tyson Domingo