Students report possible ingestion of Rohypnol on campus

Kaitlyn Christensen| News Co-Editor

On the weekend of September 15th, Buena Vista University (BVU) students received a campus alert regarding the substances Rohypnol, GHB, or Ketamine being spotted around campus. Several students reported having symptoms relating to these different drugs. There are no concrete facts that the drugs were consumed, but similar symptoms were noted. The symptoms may include rapid and severe intoxication along with nausea, amnesia, and reduced memory loss.

Director of Campus Security Mark Kirkholm explained there are no facts confirming that any student had consumed the drugs. There were warning signs that several students could have ingested them, however. These suspicions led campus security to send out a message to inform students of the reports that there was a possibility of the drugs being consumed.

Kirkholm expects that the drug was slipped into the victims’ drinks. He wanted to inform students that they must be safe and know who they are taking drinks from.

“It doesn’t have to be alcohol. It can be put into any liquid. It could be a non-alcoholic beverage that they consume also, so don’t get caught up in the thought that they are just alcoholic beverages,” Kirkholm said.

To the best of Kirkholm’s knowledge, the victims are doing fine. Campus security and law enforcement have been in contact with the students in order to trace their steps. They have been trying to figure out whether or not the drugs were found on campus or off campus. Kirkholm and security have worked with the students to trace their steps.

“We would ask that if anybody has any knowledge of people who are supplying or providing of this drug or these drugs that they would contact us. They can do so anonymously. We need to put a stop to this. This is something we are taking very seriously, and we will look at all options that are available to us if we find out who is responsible,” Kirkholm said.

BVU Security and law enforcement are working hand-in-hand as they try to put the pieces together from that weekend. If you know of anyone who is handing out any of these drugs please contact campus security at 712-749-2500.

Photo by Makensie Brown