Patrick Luber featured in BVU art gallery

Jennifer Galm | Contributing Writer

“Please, please God, let me pass my test!” This is the plea, the last ditch prayer of many students that face a daunting exam during finals week. “What do people pray for?” was a question that Professor of Art at the University of North Dakota, Patrick Luber, explored through his sculptures.

Luber clarified that his inspiration came from the traditional use of ex voto Milagros (miracle) prayer offerings that are found in Central and South America. These little charms can be used to help with an illness, offer its owner protection, and can be used as good luck charms. He took his cues from those objects and then brought into it his own creativity to explore theology and prayer, and to reestablish the link between religion and art, which was a common theme used for thousands of years.

In a walk through the gallery filled with the dim glow of whimsically kitsch nightlights and shiny aluminum, Professor of Art at Buena Vista University (BVU) David Boelter discussed his view on the exhibit.

“The first thing that stood out for me was the overall attention to detail and his technical ability. I really enjoyed his references to art history,” Boelter said.

Luber cleverly implanted art within art in his use of images from famed artists like Magritte and Caravaggio.

Luber’s fascination with folk art and its use of found materials also had an impact on his choice of material: aluminum pop cans. He explained that he liked the idea of resurrecting trash by making something beautiful.

“The 3D sculptures out of pop cans are sweet,” senior BVU art student Bryan Hayes said.

If there had to be any controversy over this fine show, it came down to the black electrical cords that dangle from several pieces.

“I feel like the drop cords take away a lot,” Hayes said. “But maybe he is trying to send a message…people are paying less attention to the whole religion thing, and now we are all on our TVs, ESPN, computers, and Facebook.”

Boelter saw it a little differently.

“I think my favorite part of the show is the cords. They take you from one piece to another. They make you read these as a sort of cohesive unit, beyond just the regular materials or the wall. I hear people talking about the cords all the time. Yet, they are in here talking about something, so anytime anybody comes into a gallery and actually decides to talk about the work is a good thing,” Boelter said.

Professor Luber’s works are currently being displayed in the Buena Vista University Art Gallery. There will be an ACES presentation with Patrick Luber in the BVU Art Gallery on Monday, Nov. 26 at 2 p.m. He will discuss his artwork and answer questions. The event will be followed by a closing reception. This event is free and open to the public.

Photos by Makensie Brown

[nivoslider id=”6628″]