One billion stand strong to end violence

Sloane Morrow | Staff Writer

One in every three woman will be raped or beaten in their lifetime. Although this is a horrifying and shocking statistic, it is an issue that is often hushed and silenced. This Valentine’s Day, however, the silence is about to broken when one billon people from across the world rise up and dance.

One Billon Rising is a world-wide campaign effort with a goal to put an end to violence towards women. The campaign is being held in conjunction with the 15th anniversary of V-Day, the activist movement designed to raise awareness about violence against women and girls. Buena Vista University (BVU) students and faculty were given the opportunity this past Monday to rise up as well and be part of the One Billion Rising campaign. The Academic and Cultural Events Series (ACES) event took place in The Underground. It was organized by students from several organizations on campus including Students Against a Violent Environment (SAVE), Love Out Loud (LOL) and Spirits Only Living Strong (SOLS) and was led by the singing and song writing of Andy Juhl and Bridget Durst, two local musicians and social justice activists, who use music to spread their love for all life.

Juhl and Durst performed several songs, including some written specifically for the One Billion Rising event. Many of the songs raised awareness about violence and advocated loved and understanding, peace and justice. One song’s lyrics stated, “Take a stand, hand in hand, and together we’ll get home.” Juhl and Durst’s band included BVU faculty and staff members, including Dr. Laura Bernhardt, associate professor of philosophy and religion, and Josh Weitzel, associate manager of web and new media.

Powerful music was paired with powerful poetry read by BVU students, including pieces by junior Mack Snelling and senior Sahara Scott.

These poems included lines that read, “To hit your girl because you’re mad, what’s that?” and “I never meant to hurt you.” This poetry revealed personal background and stories that were heart-wrenching but also influential.

Relief boxes were also present throughout the show, allowing audience members to express their feelings or stories anonymously. These stories were then shared and talked about during the performance.

Both Juhl and Durst expressed their feelings towards violence against women and gave advice to speak up and take a stand. Juhl stated, “If you love and respect, everything else will take of itself.”

Durst touched on the importance of being a positive role model for children and also talked about how violence is not always on women. “It happens to everyone,” she said.

Students were also given the opportunity to stand up and share their personal feelings. These messages and words of wisdom spread throughout the crowd, and multiple students pledged to stop the violence at the end of the night by signing the One Billion Rising pledge.

Monday night’s show was not the only way BVU students can take a stand against violence against women. On Valentine’s Day, Juhl and Durst will be playing another show in Cherokee, Iowa that will be similar to the one shown in the Underground. This time, however, it will be at the same time millions of others around the world rise up and dance. The event is going to be held at the Copper Cup from 7-8 p.m. Transportation will be provided for BVU students wishing to attend. The vans will be picking students up at the Victory Bell at 6 p.m.

Photo by Tyson Domingo