Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Senior of the Year finalists begin process of elimination

Kait Christensen | News Co-Editor

The Senior of the Year award is well underway as the candidates have been chosen and gone through several different processes. Seniors Seth Lindokken, John Killpack, Brian Christiansen, Brian Broll, Kimberly Perez, Serena Geisinger, Kellyn Arnold, and Lauren Whitt were all selected for excelling in academics, along with their involvement in the community. Finalists from the group include Geisinger, Perez, Lindokken, and Broll, who will continue with interviews for Senior of the Year and runner-up seniors.

Assistant Director of Alumni Programming Diann Petersen handles the nominees for the Senior of the Year Awards. She goes through several processes when working towards this. Every senior that meets the requirement is a nominee. It is then reduced to eight semi-finalists then four finalists – two men and two women.

“I get a list of the student seniors that carry a 3.0 GPA from the register’s office and from that list the students also have to be involved in two organizations on campus and leadership in two of those organizations. The list is then shared with Dale Scully, and he determines if these students are in good standing and involved in those things,” Petersen said.

This list of seniors is then taken to faculty and several other employees. Here, they narrow the list down for the seniors to vote on two men and two women.

“Those votes are accumulated, and then it’s determined. There are four men and four women from that list, and that is who the senior class votes on. That is sent electronically to all seniors, and then they vote on which man and which woman is qualified for the award,” Petersen said.

After the four finalists are chosen from the eight semi-finalists, they move on to the interview stage conducted by Buena Vista University (BVU) Alumni Board members. The finalists send in their resumes to Petersen, who then forwards them to the Alumni Board members.

The Senior of the Year award will be received on April 27 at the Student Recognition Dinner. The two winners (one man and one woman) will be awarded plaques, while the runner-ups will receive certificates.

The semi-finalists this year have several skills.

Kellyn Arnold is a corporate math major with a business econ and Spanish double minor. She has been active on campus as a captain for BVU’s soccer team and the president of SAAC. Arnold does not have plans yet for after graduation.

Lauren Whitt is a political science and English double major. She has also been extremely active on campus with Student MOVE, AWOL, Student Senate, and Mock Trial, to name a few. After graduation, Whitt’s plans are to attend law school, and she is considering a graduate degree in Public Administration, hoping someday to work for a non-profit public service organization.

Brian Christiansen is an elementary education major with a concentration of social studies. Christiansen will also have endorsements in reading and coaching. As an active member on campus, he has been involved in cross country, track and field, Esprit de Corps, SAAC, and is an academic assistant. His plans after graduation are to be employed as a full time elementary teacher and coach.

John Killpack is majoring in biology and environmental science. He has been actively involved in numerous activities on campus, such as Co-President of Student M.O.V.E., AmeriCorps, IMPACT, The Bridge, Science Club, AWOL, Oxfam Change Leader, Choir, Jazz Choir, Orientation Team, Student Senate, SCR, and is an academic assistant for Ashley Farmer-Hanson. His plans after graduation are to attend the Creighton Medical School of Accelerated Nursing Program. He plans to become a Nurse Practitioner.

After seniors voted on the eight finalists, they chose the finalists. Serena Geisinger, Kimberly Perez, Seth Lindokken, and Brian Broll are the four finalists.

Serena Geisinger is majoring in biology. She has been extremely active on campus in organizations such as Science Club, Student MOVE, Alpha Chi Honor Society, BV Buddies, The Bridge, AmeriCorps, AWOL, URDI, Cheerleading, American Medical Student Association, Choir, Chamber Choir, Emerging Leaders, Honor Program, Dean’s Fellows, has been a Cultural Leadership Conference host, and is an academic assistant. Her plans after graduation are to attend the University of Iowa College of Dentistry to pursue her career as a dentist.

Kimberly Perez is majoring in biochemistry and minoring in mathematics. She has been involved in Students of Diverse Populations Leadership Team, Voices of Praise, RAICES, Student MOVE, Cultural Leadership Conference Co-Coordinator, Buenafication Day Committee, AmeriCorps, and volleyball. Her plans after graduation are to attend graduate school to obtain her PhD in Immunology.

Seth Lindokken is majoring in mathematics with a minor in business and business economics. He has been active with Student Senate, Orientation Team, AASB, Dean’s Fellow, and is an academic assistant. Next year, Lindokken plans to pursue his PhD in mathematics.

Brian Broll is majoring in math education. He has been involved as an Academic Assistant for math, ResLife, Wrestling, and a Technician at 2Fix. Broll plans to attend a doctoral program in computer science after he graduates.

Photos by Tyson Domingo and Aaron Burns