Farmer-Hanson hosts Civic Sessions

Aaron Burns | News Co-Editor

In the summer of 2012, Director of Civic Engagement Ashley Farmer-Hanson applied for and received a Bringing Theory to Practice Grant. The grant is funded by the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U). “A Crucible Moment” is the document that inspired it, which was a report from a task force commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education and released in January 2012. The report encourages colleges and universities to make a stronger commitment to civic education. The writers believe that if students are not exposed to service, they will not participate in it later in life.

With the money from the grant, Farmer-Hanson created a series of three “Civic Sessions.” The sessions are formatted similarly to a Faculty Friday luncheons on campus. Faculty, community partners, students, and Student Affairs professionals were invited to attend.

The first session took place on Monday, Feb. 11. Over 40 people attended. Faculty and Student Affairs professionals filled the room with a few other students and members of The Bridge of Storm Lake.

“Almost every single school was represented in terms of a faculty member or a dean being present,” Farmer-Hanson said.

During the session, the groups discussed where Buena Vista University (BVU) is currently at in terms of civic engagement. The group broke into smaller focus groups and answered questions such as: What does civic learning mean? Where do students learn? What does a “civic mission” mean? Who or what is included? What are civic barriers, processes, rights, and duties? What are the different roles and structures needed to contribute to or to realize an institutional civic mission?

From the answers, Farmer-Hanson will gather the data and narrow it down. For the next session, there will be themes created, and those who attend will be challenged to create a civic mission. The third and final session will consist of how the university will live up to the civic mission created and what steps will need to be taken as an institution to do that.

All students are invited and encouraged to come to the sessions.

“I know it can be kind of intimidating to come into a room with faculty and staff, but the students that came to the first one were really excited to learn how passionate their professors and Student Affairs professionals are about civic engagement, which I think really surprised them,” Farmer-Hanson said.

The second session will take place on Feb. 25 at noon. The third session is on March 18. Watch for announcements in BVU News for updates.

Photo courtesy of Ashley Farmer-Hanson