Career Services’ Lytle retiring

Carol Lytle, Director of Career Services

Kait Christensen | News Co-Editor

After 12 years of service at Buena Vista University (BVU), Carol Lytle will be retiring from the position of Director of Career Services. Lytle has been actively involved with students in numerous jobs over her years at the university.

Lytle explained that the job is an extremely busy one, and noted all of the roles she has played over the years.

“My responsibility is to oversee a comprehensive program in career, development, and services for all students on this campus. I also assist with career services to students that attend the GPS sites,” Lytle said.

Lytle has also been given other job opportunities during her tenure as director.

“This office is responsible for everything from helping a student choose a major to helping them into a professional school,” Lytle said.

“We’re also very busy getting students through internships and giving them some professional polish,” Lytle mentioned. A few examples of this that she has taken on are the etiquette dinner, reception, and different types of networking opportunities to allow current students to connect with alumni.

Lytle’s supervisor, Vice President of Student Affairs Meg McKeon explained that Lytle has been planning her retirement, so the announcement was not a surprise. Her time with Career Services will be over at the end of the semester.

The position is posted and the hiring process is underway. The university is accepting applications currently.

“Our hope is that we will have a replacement named in time for her (Lytle) to help with some transition. If not, when we do hire, and that person begins, then Carol has volunteered to come in and help with a smooth transition so there should be no interruption of services to students—she’s very dedicated that way,” McKeon said.

Lytle said there are many things about her position and BVU that she will miss. Along with this, she recalled some of the greatest rewards of having the job.

“I think the rewards are seeing students acquire satisfying or meaningful jobs when they graduate. Of course we have a wonderful family of Student Affairs and university staff and faculty. That’s not easy to walk away from, so I would say working with students either individually or putting on programs that I know are going to be appreciated or useful to them,” Lytle said.

Along with the things she will miss on campus, there are also students who will greatly miss her as well. Senior Tyler Reed feels Lytle has done some great things for the university.

“Carol has been a tremendous resource of bringing programming for prospective graduate schools to campus and keeping in touch with those who were considering graduate school throughout the year and throughout the process of finding a school,” Reed said.

Senior Ryan Scheetz will also miss what Lytle has done for the students on campus.

“I will miss Carol’s kindness and willingness to always help students for the betterment of their future,” Scheetz said.

View Comments (1)