Weaver interns for prosthetic company in Kansas City

Kylee Deering | A&L Co-Editor

Buena Vista University senior, Cortney Weaver has a double major in art and biology. The unique combination set her up for an internship this past summer in Kansas City with a company called Hanger Clinic. The company specializes in prosthetics and orthotics. Prosthetics are artificial body parts created to help the betterment of one’s life while orthotics deal with the provision and use of artificial devices such as splints and braces. Hanger Clinic makes and fits the braces, inserts and artificial limbs patients need.

Weaver shadowed the clinician and technician for the summer but about halfway through, also started doing volunteer hours to get hands on experience with the technician.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, Weaver shadowed the clinician, Karman. Karman is a prosthetist. Weaver assisted patients with things like taking casts off their limbs, discussing the best system the patient needed to go in, alignments of the prosthesis and helping them learn proper technique for using their prosthetic. While in the lab, she learned how to modify a mold of the limb, create a check socket, do a proper bench alignment, and enhanced some problem solving skills.

“You would be surprised at what comes into the office,” says Weaver. “People ask, “Can you fix this?” and it’ll actually just be broken and they’ll need a new one but we figure something out for them.”

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, Weaver spent time in the lab with the technician, Rod. As a technician, they make or fix whatever is needed. Weaver learned the lamination process of a socket, how to pull plastic, how to pull a check socket, liner and ankle foot orthoses. She learned how to bend metal for braces, trim plastic, repair shoes and sew leather.

Together, both the clinician and technician showed Weaver how to create a full prosthetic and AFO. She now knows for sure that this is the career she wants to go into.

“This internship made me more focused to get this year done. I will miss BV, but I’m ready for the next chapter of my life, which will hopefully be at Northwestern University in Chicago,” says Weaver.

She plans on attending graduate school after graduating this May. From there it’s full speed ahead to prosthetics and orthotics.

Photo courtesy of Cortney Weaver