Franchises vs. Quality

Franchises+vs.+Quality+

Seth Mecklenburg | Arts & Life Co-Editor

Sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes, and spin offs are all words that define an edition to a franchise. Many people are under the misconception that all Hollywood makes are sequels. They do make many, but there are many more original works coming out than additions to franchises.

When September is over, over 70 films will have been released in theatres in that month alone. Of those 70, only seven are related to a franchise. Those numbers include independent films that open in any number of theatres. If we look at wide releases only (movies released in over 600 theatres) then there are ten total films in September. Of those ten, only three are related to a franchise.

That is one random month at a slow time of the year. Most of the films that Hollywood itself thinks are good are not sequels. If they made as many sequels as people think, then more franchise films would win Best Picture at the Oscars.

Only two sequels have won Best Picture: 1974’s The Godfather Part II and 2003’s The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. That’s two of 65. That’s not to say franchise films are bad, though, which is how many people treat franchises.

Some movies just deserve a sequel, prequel, or could have a great remake because it is a natural extension of the franchise. For example, both 1983’s Scarface and 2006’s The Departed are remakes. The Departed won Best Picture while Scarface with Al Pacino is considered a cult classic in many circles.

Audiences just don’t always take risks on the original movies, and as a result, they don’t make money. Audiences get the most excited about franchise films. These films make the most money. Of course those franchises are going to continue.

The top ten films so far in 2013 are as follows: Iron Man 3, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Monsters University, Fast & Furious 6, OZ The Great and Powerful, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, The Croods, and The Heat.

The last three are the only three not part of a pre-existing franchise. By the end of the year, they will surely be knocked lower on the list by The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug, and other mega-franchises this holiday season.

Franchises create an opportunity to revisit characters and/or situations. Sometimes these extensions are done right; sometimes they turn out horribly. Film is a subjective topic; each individual is entitled to his or her opinion.

If you want to see more original work, seek it out and find other artists you like. Don’t complain about there being too many sequels as you head out to watch your next superhero movie.

Photo by Tyson Domingo