Actors take charge behind the camera

Seth Mecklenburg | Arts & Life Co-Editor

Well-known actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt is reaching the height of his popularity. He started as a lead actor in “Angels in the Outfield” and gained popularity for his role on the hit TV show “3rd Rock From The Sun.” The actor then began starring in indie dramas such as 2005’s “Brick,” written and directed by Rian Johnson, who would later write and direct “Looper,” also starring Gordon-Levitt. His drawing power is at its peak after appearing in recent hits “Inception,” “(500) Days of Summer” and “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Using his notoriety to his advantage, the star has decided to make the jump to filmmaker. On Sept. 27, 2013, “Don Jon” will be released in theaters. The release signifies the first time audiences will see a feature length film written and directed by Gordon-Levitt. The film deals with subjects such as porn addiction, media effects on relationships, and family expectations.

He is not the first actor to become a filmmaker. He’s not even the first to do it this year. Seth Rogen and his writing partner Evan Goldberg wrote and directed this year’s “This is the End” to great reviews and over one hundred million dollars at the American box office. “This is the End’s” own James Franco also made his feature length directing debut this year with “As I Lay Dying.” Franco has many other projects lined up in the director’s chair, including a full-length documentary featuring “Saturday Night Live” in the seventies.

One of the more famous transitions is that of Clint Eastwood, who started off as a western superstar. Now he has directed many films, including “Gran Torino,” “Flags Of Our Fathers,” and “Unforgiven.” His Academy Award is was earned by directing “Million Dollar Baby” and he is currently working on his highly anticipated adaptation of the Broadway hit “Jersey Boys.”

Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, Robert Redford, and many others directed classic movies they themselves starred in, including Orson Welles, best known for his feature debut “Citizen Kane.” Not only did he write and direct “Citizen Kane,” which many consider to be one of the top films of all time, he was the lead actor as well.

It’s not just writing and directing that popular actors transition into. Many co-own production companies. Brad Pitt has Plan B, Ben Stiller has Red Hour films, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt himself has HitRecord.

Gordon-Levitt’s company co-produced “Don Jon,” which so far appears to be a solid debut for Gordon-Levitt and company. The film is currently hovering around 80% on rotten tomatoes. Only time will tell if Gordon-Levitt’s transition behind the camera goes well for him.

Photo by Tyson Domingo