Broken branches, broken legacy
Broken branches, broken legacy
May 16, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Broken branches, broken legacy
Broken branches, broken legacy
May 16, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Tattoo Tales: Luke Hastie

Tattoo+Tales%3A+Luke+Hastie+

Seth Mecklenburg | Arts & Life Co-Editor

“Tattoo Tales” is an ongoing series that features Buena Vista University Students/Staff tattoos and the stories behind them.

Luke Hastie, a criminal justice/Criminology major, has two tattoos on his arm. The first he had done when he was only sixteen. He went and got another exactly a year later at seventeen. Both of his parents have tattoos and his dad said he could get a tattoo at a young age as long as it meant something. Hastie’s first tattoo is very symbolic.

“My first tattoo is the cross and nails with ribbon around it and Philippians 3:14. Some of it is symbolism to my grandma who passed away, and some of it is symbolism of my own faith. The nails are a reminder that Jesus is my savior and the ribbon is my grandma, she was the ribbon that held the family together,” Hastie said.

He put Philippians 3:14 on the tattoo because it’s something he says to himself when he gets down; it serves as a reminder that he can accomplish anything. He drew the tattoo himself, making it even more personal and important. His second tattoo is his Scottish family crest, as that is where his family originates.

“Our family believes in our heritage and we celebrate it. I drew some Celtic weave to wrap around my arm, so I did design this one as well. Family means a lot to me so no matter where I go I always like to represent where I come from and my last name,” Hastie said.

At first his mom was skeptical of Hastie getting a tattoo, but after finding out the many reasons behind the first one, she approved and even took him to get his second one. The meaning behind it is what makes his friends and family respect his tattoos even more.

“It took me probably half a year to really think of what I wanted and really incorporate all that I wanted into it. And it probably took six months for the second one as well,” Hastie said.

One thing Hastie is aware of is the placement of his tattoos. He makes sure they would be appropriate for the work place no matter what. Hastie and his dad plan to get matching tattoos this summer based off of Hastie’s great grandfather, as they were all really close. The tattoos are to be over their hearts to remember what he stood for and as a way to think of what his great grandfather would do in tough situations.

“I will never judge a person’s tattoo, they can have meaning behind it that some people will never know, that some people will never get, but its theirs. Whether they get something that doesn’t mean anything or not is their choice. It is a great conversation starter,” Hastie said.

Photo by Tyson Domingo

View Comments (1)