BVU students travel to the Emerald Isle

BVU+students+travel+to+the+Emerald+Isle+

Tyson Domingo | Staff Writer

Buena Vista University (BVU) offers its students several travel opportunities throughout the year ranging from domestic and international trips for both service and education. This past May, Assistant Professor of Digital Media, Andrea Frantz, led BVU students 3,822 miles from Storm Lake, Iowa to the village of Sneem in County Kerry, Ireland. For just over two weeks, the students immersed themselves in the Irish culture through the stories, music, and magic of Ireland. As the students prepared for the ultimate Irish experience, their excitement developed.

“I was excited for, I guess what you would call the stereotypical Ireland; you know, the hills, the green. I was kind of interested to see how different it would be, like the green. Everybody says it’s the emerald isles, but what? How different is it?” junior Kimberly Niehaus said.

Niehaus had many questions when preparing for this excursion, and she was in for an overwhelming amount of answers. Not only are the landscapes of Ireland breathtaking and photogenic, but the culture is also noteworthy.

“I like to learn about different cultures,” junior Jessica Weatherman said. Being Weatherman’s first time outside of the United States, she questioned everything.

It was also Niehaus’s first time outside of the U.S. She really wanted to broaden her horizons through this trip, as many students do.

“All you see about other countries is the stereotypes you see on television or in books. I kind of wanted to confirm or disprove [them], and I wanted to see for myself,” Niehaus said.

Of all the sights to see in Ireland, there were many photographic opportunities, which was another aspect of the trip to Ireland that these students were excited for.

“In high school, I was really affiliated in art and stuff like that and photography. I haven’t really done it here in my college career, but that was also one of the things that drew me into it was the whole photography thing, because it was something that I kind of fell away from,” senior Mark Cullen said.

Unfortunately, due to financial situations, Cullen could not attend the trip. Those who did, however, did not forget about Cullen’s strong interest in going.

“I went to Dr. Frantz’s office, and they had brought me back a hat that was made there and a little coaster, and it had my name on it and my family crest,” Cullen said.

Aside from the souvenirs, there were many opportunities that aided the learning experiences of these BVU students, and they taught them about more than just history but about life experiences.

“I liked Galway, but I think what I learned the most was that a place like that is where I want to live, like Sneem; a small, tight, group of a community. And I want to go back,” Weatherman said.

Like many great occasions, the trip to Ireland had to come to a close, but there will always be one aspect of it that will be remembered. For Niehaus it was the overall welcoming feeling she received from the people of Sneem.

“It didn’t matter who you were, you were just welcomed everywhere. Even at a tourist spot where they would probably be tired of you. They were just like ‘Welcome to Ireland!’” Niehaus said.

In America, we may say “cheers” to toast to good health, but in Ireland, they say “Slàintè!” where the magic still strives in their folklore. If you ever get the change to explore the inner working of the Irish way, just take it.

“Looking back on it, having words of wisdom, what I wish I would have done was try harder to get on it,” Cullen said.

Photo courtesy of Stephanie Steiner