Men and women’s soccer open up conference play against Dubuque

Shelby Bradley | Sports Co-Editor

Sunday, Sept. 25, the Buena Vista University (BVU) men and women’s soccer teams faced off against conference opponent the Spartans of the University of Dubuque.

The women’s team lead the afternoon off for the Beavers with a start time of 1 p.m. The Beavers fell to an early deficit within the first 10 minutes of the first half. The Beavers had no answer to the Spartans’ offensive play as the Spartans scored their next two goals during the first half, leaving the Beavers with a 3-0 loss.

Although the women’s team did not come out with a win, head coach Sheena Van Roekel was pleased with her players’ performance and their capability of competing with a top contending conference team.

“Although we did not come out with the ‘W’, our ladies have made some solid strides since the last match up against Dubuque. During the 2015 season, we walked away from Dubuque with a 7-0 deficit and this year we drastically decreased that by 4,” Van Roekel said.

Van Roekel is ready to hit the field again this upcoming Wednesday, Sept. 28, against Martin Luther allowing her team another opportunity to hit reset and focus on adjustments recognized in the Dubuque game.

“We’re a different team than we have been in the prior season and it has been amazing to watch the ladies come together for the same reason(s). We’re excited to move forward to the next practice session and keep working. Every day is an opportunity to be better and we know we can only get there if we work for each other,” Van Roekel said.

The women’s team now sits at 2-5-1 overall and are 0-1 in the IIAC.

The men’s team followed the women’s beginning at 3:30 p.m. The #24 ranked Spartans led off with an early two minute goal, however, were held by the Beaver defense for the remainder of the game.

Senior goalie, Matt Tennyson, returned to play after a bicep strain injury during preseason, coming out with ten outstanding saves, including a penalty kick save.

“It feels amazing to be back on the field. This last month was really frustrating for me knowing that I wasn’t able to help my team in our first couple games being sidelined. That feeling has really opened my eyes in the sense that I can’t take any of these last 8 games for granted, especially that it is senior year,” Tennyson said.

With various aspects of the game each individual player must focus on during one particular match, Tennyson believes that starting off strong and having confidence are the two most important aspects.

“We continually start off on the wrong foot and it puts us in a hole early. This has been a reoccurring theme and if we can limit our mistakes and start these next 8 games with complete focus, we should have all the confidence in the world,” Tennyson said.

The mens’ team is now 4-5-1 overall and 0-1 in the IIAC. Both teams will take on Martin Luther this Wednesday, Sept. 28 beginning with the women’s game at 2 p.m. and the men’s to follow at 4:15 p.m. Their next conference match ups will be against the Knights of Wartburg on Saturday, Oct. 1.

Feature image by William Connelly