DACA: More than a Program to Help Immigrant Youth

Creative Commons

Creative Commons

Iran Carlos, Contributing Writer

My name is Iran Carlos.

I am a sophomore, political science and history major. What you may not know about me is that I have been a DACA recipient since early 2016.

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program was created in 2012. The Obama-era program allowed children who come to the United States without documentation to ask for consideration of deferred action of two years, which can then be asked to be renewed for more time to achieve citizenship or temporary documents. Currently, President Trump has been trying to change that policy. However, to the President’s surprise, the Supreme Court refused to hear his appeal.

In light of recent news surrounding the Supreme Courts’ decision regarding DACA, it’s nice to have some of the heavy weight taken off just a little. But it still leaves a lot of questions floating around.

What is my future going to look like? Will I finally be accepted in the country that I call my home?

I try not to think about my future because it could go a million different ways.

For me, thinking about the future feels like I’m stuck in a room with hundreds of doors around me, then all of the sudden, the lights get shut off, and I suddenly can’t see or hear.

I’m stuck in a trance, not knowing what could happen, not just to myself, but my family, too. In a sense, I’m trying hard to keep my head above water; trying to stay hopeful, while many forces try to pull me down.

Someone once asked me, “How do you try to spread the word on DACA, and teach how it works to people who don’t understand?”

I used to be embarrassed about my status, but once I came to college, I knew that I could no longer stay silent about who I was.

Whenever I get the chance, I try to allow people to think differently about the people they share a class with, or sit next to.

All I can do for now, as I wait, is try to spread the word on how DACA isn’t just a program that helps immigrant youth. DACA is a program that is helping people who already think of themselves as American citizens. Better yet, it is helping those who are American citizens in their hearts.

1 Comment

One Response to “DACA: More than a Program to Help Immigrant Youth”

1. Anton Mike on March 13th, 2018 6:04 pm

While There are hundreds thousands would-be immigrants out there waiting for years to enter the US legally because their papers are still being processed by the INS, but now all of a sudden, illegal aliens a.k.a DACA can get their permanent residency in the US is just extremely unfair, unjust and lawless.
    Romans 13:1-7 states, “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God

• DACA: More than a Program to Help Immigrant Youth

Opinion

Is the New Serve Working?

Opinion

I Stand with Kaep

Opinion

African Elephants: End to another species

Opinion

The Last Straw for Accessibility

Opinion

Forum Renovation: Was it too much?

Opinion

Was Block Party a Bust?

Opinion

Little Activity during Active Shooter Simulation

Opinion

Passing Off the Nerf Blaster 

Opinion

Education for Service: The Meaning of Buenafication Day

Opinion

Carried Away With The Snow