BVU Recreation Services offers activities perfect for Spring

Pixabay - Stock

Allyssa Ertz, Arts and Life Editor

As Storm Lake begins to thaw and the days grow longer, Spring blooms at Buena Vista University (BVU), so it’s a perfect time to get outside and enjoy the weather and campus.  

A stunning lake invites students to engage in physical activities countless ways.  Through the Recreation Services hosted in the Rec House, located along the lakeshore behind Siebens Fieldhouse, students can check-out equipment such as kayaks and fishing poles free of charge.

Director of Recreation Services Trevor Berneking, offers a variety of outdoor recreational activities that can be accessed through the Rec House.  Students can check out canoes and kayaks at no charge, only a required 5-minute boat safety course to use them.  Paddle boards and log rolling are another popular activity students can use our lake for. 

“In a couple weeks, the walleye and catfish should be coming toward shore,” said Berneking. Spring is the perfect time for fishing. 

Bicycles, lawn golf equipment, frisbees, footballs, softball gloves and softballs, tennis equipment, and a couple pairs of rollerblades are all activities students can do — at no cost — renting through the Rec House.  It also hosts basketballs, a can jam frisbee game, bean bags and boards, and camping equipment with tents and sleeping bags.

The Rec House partners with the Adventure Leadership Program Scholars (ALPS), to plan special events and trips, which are considered an integral part of recreation services.  Soon, there will be a trip to Grimes, IA, to MB2 go kart racing and a visit to the Skyzone on April 15.  The cost is $20 per person to participate in both activities.

If you’re looking for a more relaxing activity to enjoy, Berneking has a recommendation for that, too.

“It’s always nice just to go for a walk around the lake, through the bike trails.  There’s like 12 different parks in town, if you’re bored, just go for a walk around the lake,” said Berneking.

Organizations throughout campus use the Rec House to hold events.  It is available for reservations, and features a large space with a fire pit that is perfect for group gatherings.  The Rec House can be reserved at this link: Rec House Reservation Form.

Berneking welcomes people to use the Rec House, as long as they are respectful to the facilities.  He is also open to more equipment ideas if people will use them.

“If we don’t have a piece of equipment that somebody wants, they can always come to me and see if we can make it happen,” said Berneking.

As the long awaited spring weather is finally on its way, the Rec House offers a ton of fun activities that are free to BVU students.