Intramural softball league provides competition for BVU students

Holly Frerk | Staff Writer

Intramural softball is in full swing at Buena Vista University (BVU). Recreation Services has once again provided the opportunity for BVU students to participate in intramural softball league. Registration opened last week, and the deadline to register a team was Monday at noon.

“It is open to all students, faculty, and staff,” Director of Recreation Services Ellen Schiltz said.

Schiltz noted that there are three divisions: women, men, and co-rec. All games will be played at the city fields located on West 9th Street at 5 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday for six weeks.

Many students across campus look forward to intramural sports in order to have some sort of competition during the school year and to have time away from school work and other stresses throughout the week. Although it is just friendly competition, there are incentives and prizes to look forward to.

“After six weeks of play, we will have a week of championships. It will consist of single elimination and lead up to a championship game. The winning team of the championship will get the title of being champions and will receive a t-shirt,” Schiltz said.

Senior Brad Geelan, who has played intramural softball all four years at BVU, feels there’s an art to finding a good team.

“The process of finding members is like a recruiting process,” Geelan said. “We start by asking close friends and people who have experience playing slow-pitch softball. I play the game because it is competitive and also gives me the chance to have fun with my friends.”

Adam Schlichte will have played all four years as well. Schlichte was a member of a team last year that had an undefeated season and lost in the championship round. He will be playing on the same team this season.

“I decided to join intramural softball my freshman year because I really missed baseball. I missed the feeling of taking the field with my buddies. I also missed being on the field, eating seeds, and sliding in the dirt. My favorite part of the game is getting to play with my friends. It’s fun to come out to the field with all my buddies and play around for a while. It’s also fun to play against friends and fellow Beaver teammates,” Schlichte said.

He hopes his team will make it back to the championship again this year.

Recreation Services will hold its first intramural softball game on Thursday, April 11. If students missed the sign up for intramural softball, there will still be an opportunity to sign up for the sand volleyball tournament, which will be held the Friday before spring finals.

Graphic by Keyla Sosa