Who’s who in Beaver sports: Jenna Falline

Whos who in Beaver sports: Jenna Falline

Courtney Van Haaften | Sports Co-Editor

Jenna Falline, a freshman from Newell, IA, has stepped into a big role on the Buena Vista University (BVU) softball team and has proven to be a big factor in the team’s success this year.

Jenna currently holds a record of 6-4, has struck out 30 batters, and her current earned runs average (ERA) is 2.22. For her success so far during the season, Falline was named the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) Pitcher of the Week for the week ending March 31. One pitcher in the conference receives this honor every week for their outstanding performance on the field. This particular week, Falline and the rest of the Beavers had played several games during their spring break trip in Florida. She finished the week with a record of 2-2, including a shutout against 14th ranked Carthage College.

“It’s a really cool honor; I wasn’t expecting it,” Falline said.

Falline, although a newcomer to the team, really brings a lot to her teammates. According to her coach, Heather Hupke, she is really good at keeping the ball down and letting the defense do their job.

“I was kind of intimidated in the beginning, but then once I got to know the girls a little bit more, they really let me settle in,” Falline said.

“She’s done very well so far. She’s a big part of our team and a big contributor to the win’s we’ve had. She’s also a great team player and has a lot of potential to keep the program going,” sophomore teammate Jessica Stocker said.

“Jenna does a great job of getting what needs to be done in the circle and having a ‘we’ mentality,” Hupke said.

Falline has always loved the game of softball and really values being able to play the game. Her favorite parts of the game are tough situations and the exhilarating feeling of being in a tied game. She attributes her success to many different things.

“I put a lot of time in during the off-season. I really listen to the coaches and try to make myself better,” Falline said.

As for her goals for the rest of the season, Falline is looking to improve her ERA and attain more strikeouts.

The Beavers are back on the field this Friday, April 12 in Pella against Central College.

Photo courtesy of Steven Phelps