Field conditions and weather affect baseball and softball teams

Griffin Truslow | Staff Writer

As the Buena Vista University (BVU) men’s baseball (2-6 IIAC, 10-10 overall) and women’s softball (2-2 IIAC, 11-11 overall) seasons reach the halfway point, the weather continues to be a factor. Although earlier this week, the snow was melting, and the sun was shining, yesterday’s games had to be postponed because of the cold, rainy conditions.

The baseball team traveled for their first 10 games of the year. The first home game on March 29 was against Luther College, where the weather and field conditions may not have been ideal.

“Right field especially was really wet; it was just marshy. There were a couple times where maybe we didn’t get to some balls that maybe normally we would have,” senior baseball player Griffin Hatten said. “It’s improved over the past week, so I think maybe you’ll see a little bit crisper play all around this weekend versus last.”

The baseball and softball teams both practice indoors during the offseason due to the weather. Women’s Head Softball Coach Heather Hupke has even cut practice short sometimes just to be outside.

“There have been a couple of times where we went out on the football turf, and it wasn’t quite as warm, but if we can be outside for an hour compared to two hours inside, then we’re going to do that,” Hupke said.

Sophomore catcher for the BVU softball team Sam Knudsen pointed out some difficulties with practicing inside.

“When we are inside, we run into the issue of our pop flies. You can’t hit them too high, otherwise they will hit the ceiling. That’s why we love to be outside because we can hit realistic pop flies for the outfielders to get their practice. Also just the weather aspects help us. The wind, rain, and heat help us prepare for our season,” Knudsen said.

The baseball team’s games scheduled for Tuesday, April 9 against Coe College in Cedar Rapids were postponed because of the predicted rain. Their next scheduled games are Friday, April 12 in Dubuque. The softball team’s contests against Central College in Pella have also been postponed until Friday, April 12.

Photo by David Ekstrom