Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Who’s who in Beaver sports: Katie Larsen

Holly Frerk | Staff Writer

Junior Buena Vista University (BVU) sprinter Katie Larsen has been a crucial part of the women’s track team, running on two relays, the 4×100 and 4×200, which recently qualified for the upcoming Drake Relays.

A native of Glenwood, Iowa, Larsen started running track when she was in eighth grade. Larsen continued to be involved in the sport throughout high school because of her love for the sport. Larsen decided to be a double sport athlete when coming to BVU, being a member of the volleyball team and track team.

Larsen, who was injured her first two seasons of track, has come back this season as a totally new athlete. Larsen came into BVU as a mid-distance runner, but she is now running short distance and long jumping.

“She has completely changed the type athlete she is. She came in this year wanting to jump and run short distance, which is more explosive and speed related,” Head Track Coach Jeff Brennan said.

Larsen now runs the open 100, 200, and 400s and relays such as 4×100 and 4×200 and also participates in the long jump.

“This was a big change for me. I had to learn block technique, how to come out of the blocks fast, and not to pace myself,” Larsen said. “The races are fun for me. It’s nerve-racking, but it is fun to run. Also, my teammates and the coaches make it really fun.”

Becoming a sprinter, Larsen has gained many more friendships and developed many bonds with her fellow teammates.

“It is fun having her in the mix of us. She is a good pick me up, always bringing a positive attitude and had been a good addition to our short distance team,” sophomore teammate Maggie Marker said.

Larsen gave some advice for future track teammates and young teammates.

“I would say always, always buy into the program your coaches are building. They know what they are doing. Always learn all you can from them and trust that they will get you where you need to be. Be a good teammate to all and work your hardest. Know that track is an individual sport, but your team is your family; take care of each other,” Larsen said.

With Larsen’s strong comeback this track season, she has had many great accomplishments. Larsen and her relay team broke the indoor school record for the 4×200 and placed third in conference. At the Sioux City Relays, the relay team placed second in the 4×200 and third in the 4×100. Larsen and the relay team will be heading to Drake Relays April 26-28.