Outdoor Recreation Services offers an array of opportunities

Alexa Guessford | Staff Writer

Buena Vista University’s (BVU) Outdoor Recreation Services is now offering various activities and services for the spring season.

The Outdoor Recreation (Rec) House, located on the southwest side of campus behind the Fieldhouse, allows students to checkout equipment and attend fitness classes and off-campus field trips. Director of Recreation Services Ellen Shiltz has been instrumental in the planning and implementation of the events offered to students, faculty, and staff.

Currently, there are various ways to get involved with the services the Outdoor Rec provides. These include a Total Body Conditioning fitness class offered Monday and Wednesday from 5:15-6:15 p.m., two upcoming off-campus field trips, equipment checkout, and intramural softball played on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

A fun-filled weekend of canoeing will take place on May 3-4. This canoe outing is not yet finalized but will travel to one of the following locations: Des Moines, Nebraska, or South Dakota. To register for this trip, please contact Ellen Shiltz by Tues., April 30. The cost of this trip is $30.

A trip to the zoo is also quickly approaching. This jungle excursion will depart from campus on May 11 and will return on May 12. The group will be allowed to explore the zoo all day on the 11th and will stay overnight in the jungle, enabling them to completely immerse themselves in the experience. Please contact Jennifer Heim for more details and registration for this zoo trip. The cost of the trip is $25.

“We are very excited about the zoo trip because we are able to camp out in the jungle while we’re there,” Shiltz said.

The Outdoor Recreation program also offers students equipment checkout from the house for their own use.

“It’s super easy to rent equipment. All you need is your key card. They scan your number and the item you wish to use, and send you off,” freshman Carolyn McDermott said.

Senior Sam Riesenberg also checks out equipment frequently.

“Outdoor Rec makes it very easy for BVU students to check out equipment for whatever activity they may desire. I simply sign a waiver assuring them that I will return the equipment within 24 hours undamaged and I’m on my way,” Riesenberg said.

Some smaller-sized equipment can be checked out at the Information Desk in the Fieldhouse. The items now available are lawn golf materials (clubs, tennis balls, and score cards), discs for disc golf, bikes (recently tuned up for the season), canoes, kayaks, camping gear (tents, sleeping bags, grill, etc.), paddleboats, show shoes, basketballs, volleyballs, and much more. A safety clinic must be taken in order to rent a kayak. This informational session will be held May 1 at 4:00 p.m. Students can register with Ellen Shiltz now.

Upcoming will be a sand volleyball tournament held on May 17 at 4 p.m. It will take place throughout the night and will have music, snacks, and volleyball fun. Be sure to keep an eye out for more information.

The services of Outdoor Rec are offered to everyone on campus – students, faculty, and staff.

“More people should get involved with what Rec Services is offering. Students need to realize what a great advantage we have here on campus,” McDermott said.

“The activities that Outdoor Rec offers are great. They also help students to adjust to campus life by being able to partake in life enhancing activities,” Riesenberg said.

The Outdoor Rec House is open Monday – Friday from 3-9 p.m., and from 1-6 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. For more information please contact Ellen Shiltz at [email protected]