Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
Joan Curbow: The ultimate Beaver
May 3, 2024

Who’s who in Beaver sports: Luke Anderson

Maggie Ramold | Staff Writer

Sophomore Luke Anderson has been a main factor this year for the men’s golf team, who finished sixth in the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) Conference Tournament this past weekend.

Anderson, a native of Storm Lake, started playing golf at a young age with his family in the summer, and his love for the game that grew as a child hasn’t gone away.

As for coming to Buena Vista University (BVU), Anderson visited with some of the golfers on the team, and he really enjoyed the atmosphere of the program. Not only did golf influence his decision, but he took several computer science classes in high school which helped him decide academically as well.

“As much as I am serious about my game on the course, I feel like I have become the one to lighten the mood of teammates out on the course. Golf is a game you have to be having fun to be comfortable and make plays,” Anderson said.

Head Men’s Golf Coach Mitch Brunick agreed.

“Even with struggles at the tournament, Luke had a great attitude which allowed us to look at the positives and prepare for the next round. Other than conference, Luke brought a personality to the course that was relaxed but ready to learn,” Brunick said.

This season, which was difficult with the weather conditions, Anderson made every practice and worked hard on his game. On average, Anderson shot an 82 throughout the 2012-2013 season.

“The best quality is his commitment and openness to new ideas. No matter what is going on, he is always open to advice. He takes in information that allows him to continue to get better over the years. He also understands how each aspect of the game works together in order to make his score the best it can be,” Brunick said.

Anderson’s favorite part of the sport is how frustrating the game can be, but when striking the ball well and scoring competitively, the game can be very addicting.

Anderson will continue to be an addition to the men’s golf team in the next couple years as he finishes out his career at BVU.

Photo courtesy of Steven Phelps