Who’s who in Beaver sports: Rachel Burnette

Holly Frerk | Staff Writer

Senior Buena Vista University (BVU) hurdler Rachel Burnette has been an outstanding student athlete for the women’s track team, running 100 hurdles, 400 hurdles, the 4×200, and the 4×400.

A native of Erwin, Iowa, Burnette started running track when she was in seventh grade. Burnette made the decision to come to BVU because it was close to home and could continue participating in the sport she loved. Burnette continued to be involved in the sport throughout high school because of her love for the sport and the thrill to compete with a team but on an individual level.

Burnette who has never let her competitive drive weaken over past three years and continues to work hard for the women’s track team. Burnette coaches have also helped her reach her goals by being there and helping her through struggles.

“She is a strong student athlete in track and field, especially in hurdles. She knows when she has run a great race and can critique what she has done wrong. She has come full circle the past three years. She is more confident and always continues to work hard,” Assistant Track and Field Coach Jim Nichols said.

Throughout the years of running hurdles and relays, Burnette has created friendships and many bonds with her fellow teammates.

“She is a really great leader that keeps everyone going with what they are supposed to be doing and during meets is supportive of everyone that is competing. She is just a really hard worker. She gives it everything she has for every work out and encourages her teammates to do the same,” fellow teammate and sophomore Holly Nuetzman said.

Not only has Burnette been a teammate but has also taken on the role of a leader.

“I just encourage our younger team members because I remember how it is like to be a younger member on the track team and always bring a positive attitude,” Burnette said.

Concerning her best memory in college, Burnette’s favorite memory is running at Drake Relays this year in the 4×200.

“We placed 4th in the 4×200 at Drake and beat Wartburg and getting on the podium last year for 4×200 and 4×400. Getting up on the podium was awesome; I never thought it would happen,” Burnette said.

With being part of relay teams that have made it Drake, beating school records, and setting personal records Burnette has had a great four year running track at BVU.

“I have enjoyed my time with the track team. I have learned how to be part of a team, how to be a leader, and it has given me the confidence to do things I want to accomplish,” Burnette said.

Burnette and the track team just finished competing at the 2013 Iowa Conference Outdoor Track & Field Championships on May 9-11 at Loras College. Burnette finished with All-Conference honors in the 400 meter hurdles and 100 meter hurdles, respectively.

Photo courtesy of Rachel Burnette