Lessons from the weekend

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

Let me take a moment to take in how awesome this weekend was… (Breathe in)… Ahhhhhh.

I missed the NFL.

So, while I was not doing homework, and fantasy football consumed my life, here are 10 things I learned from this weekend’s action:

10. Peyton Manning- Yeah. Still really good.

9. Jake Ruddock- Iowa’s new QB. So far, I like this kid. I’m not as confident as I’d like to be yet, but I like what I see so far. This weekend will be the true test. First road game; it’s against your arch rival who you know is going to play their best game of the year and go five times beyond their true potential; and this might be the difference between winning 4 or 5 total games this year; pressure?

8. Fantasy Football- Five separate leagues is too many people. Don’t be that guy (Gulp).

7. Michigan’s QB #98- Devin Gardner = the next RGIII (Pre-ACL)?

6. NFL on CBS song- Probably on my short list of “songs that instantly get me going”. Right behind CBS’s March Madness jingle and the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

5. Fantasy Surprises- Julius Thomas (Basketball players prevail), David Wilson (C’mon man), Anquan Boldin (I’m with you guys now), Reggie Bush (Thank you Megatron), Tyrelle Pryor (No matter how well I play, I’m still on the Raiders), A. J. Green (Why am I not talked about more?), Blaine Gabbert (Only a non-contender would pick me), and Ndamukong Suh (I’ll never learn.).

4. Patriots- C’mon, how many of you honestly thought Tom Brady would lose to the Bills?

3. U.S. Open- Technically this happened Monday. I took Djokovic because Nadal had been playing so well. I thought it would have to end against the world #1. I was watching the entire 54 shot point (so awesome). I think the point lasted like three MINUTES. For two of the minutes, I swear my mouth was wide open. The stat CBS showed after the point was the distance Nadal traveled during the single point. It was 470 something feet! That far in the losing effort! I don’t think I covered 470 feet of real estate in my entire football rushing career, let alone a single tennis point.

2. Super Bowl Prediction- Still remains Broncos vs Seahawks.

1. Sunday Games- This weekend made me realize there is nothing better than kicking back and watching some football games on Sundays, preferably in high definition. Watching this past Sunday actually got me excited for the NBA. Trust me, if you’re a true NBA fan, nothing is better than watching the Knicks play some other relevant NBA team on Sunday afternoons. I think it’s the combination of Iman Shumpert’s flat top hair due, the Garden, Melo and JR’s ability to get hot, and the fact that making fun of every single Knicks player never gets old. Literally, never.

A couple predictions for this upcoming weekend:
Iowa 24
ISU 21

Bama 23
Johnny Football 30

Thanks for reading peeps! Appreciate it.

Photo by Tyson Domingo