BVU volleyball off to a great start

Griffin Turslow | Staff Writer

[nivoslider id=”12903″]

The Buena Vista University (BVU) volleyball team is off to its best start since the 2006 season. The Beavers are 6-2 and have won three of their last four matches, after losing to William Penn 3-1 last Wednesday.

Last week, the team was off and running at the home opener on Tuesday, as they took care of Bethany Lutheran winning in three straight sets with scores of 25-16, 25-15, and 25-21. This marked the third consecutive win for the team and the first three-game winning streak of the season.

On Thursday, the Beavers dropped the first two sets against William Penn before winning the third set; however, the Beavers fell short in the fourth set losing 26-24. Freshman Maddie Bardole led the team in kills and set a career high with 19.

Bardole, who currently leads the team in kills with 124, credits her teammates with the success she has been having in her young career.

“Everybody has a part to do with it. It starts with the pass, and our setter is really good. It’s just a whole team thing. Without a good pass, I wouldn’t be able to get set,” Bardole said.

Head Coach Lori Slight has been very impressed with what Bardole has been able to do so far this season.

“We knew she had talent and athletic ability, but she came in and really, as a freshman, has had that mental and physical stability that sometimes freshmen don’t always have, and she’s just proved it day in and day out,” Slight said.

Even with a revamped roster, Slight credits the early season success to the chemistry the team has.

“We have a lot of new faces on the court. We have some junior college transfers that bring in a lot of experience; our freshmen that are coming in have knowledge of the game, and just the level that they’ve played at, we’re able to push a little more in practice,” Slight said.

The Beavers will be back in action tonight, September 18th, when they travel to take on Simpson College in their first Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) game of the season starting at 7:30 p.m.

Photos by Makensie Brown