Politics, Predictions, and Owen Daniels

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

So, I’ve been thinking… Maybe it’s time to write a blog that’s not about sports. So, here we go.

President Obama’s recent comments over today’s economy were quite bewildering.

(Seriously, what are you doing, G?)

Wait a second, something isn’t right about this (not Obama’s recent comments, me attempting to discuss them), especially because my Chiefs are 2-0. Shouldn’t I be bragging non-stop about their success? Shouldn’t I purchase an Alex Smith jersey, or ANY type of Chiefs’ clothing? Shouldn’t I change my internet browser theme from the Sacramento Kings to the Chiefs? Whoa, alright that’s too far, but I do feel like it would be “Bandwagon-ish” if I suddenly announced my fandom publicly. Besides, I’m still not totally sold on two wins against Blaine Gabbert and Tony Romo (nice fantasy pick Mike Kaufmann).

Enough about the Chiefs, it’s time to rip on the Vikings and Nebraska. There are some times during the fall in which the stars align, and I reach my peak of happiness in the world of football. The first “star” is a Nebraska loss. Check. Next is a Hawkeye win, and yes, in that order. Check. Next is a Vikings loss, especially if it’s a last second defeat. Check. And last, but not least, a Beaver football victory. Shoot. We did have our chances, and I’m confident this team will surprise the conference this season. So, I did get three out of four of my “stars” to align, therefore, I was quite content.

Let’s flip gears quick to some predictions I’ve been holding in for quite some time. I need to get them on paper so when they all come true, I can apply to be the next “Stump the Schwab” guy. (But seriously, what questions would be on that application?)

a. Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville QB) will win the Heisman Trophy. I predicted this before the season began and was really confident, until Johnny Manziel threw for 900 yards and five TD’s against a NFL defense.
b. Broncos and Seahawks will play in the Super Bowl. I am on the level of “Richard Sherman Confidence” with this one right now (that’s really high).

These next two are a little further down the line, but I just have a feeling.

c. Derrick Rose will be NBA MVP this season (no comment).
d. The Hawks will reach the Elite 8 in March Madness this year. Fran will make it happen. #InFranWeTrust

Wow, it feels good to get those off my chest. The goons I hang out with can back me that these predictions have all been stated before now.

Anyway, it’s about that time. Wait, one more quick thing. One of my new friends on campus wanted a shout out from me. So here it is: Shout out to my new friend on campus, OD!!!! Now, OD is his nickname because those are his initials. His name is Owen Daniels. Yes, my new friend on campus is literally the All-Pro tight end for the Houston Texans (All-Pro? He might be the 2nd best tight end on the team, G.). Yeah, I know but “All-Pro” sounds cooler. So, here’s the scoop, his name is actually Owen, but I really have no clue what his last name is. So, as far as I’m concerned, it’s Daniels. Hope your happy, OD!

See you next week. Thanks for reading people, or in Spanish, ¡gracias por leer!