Two new additions join the Athletic Training staff

Maggie Ramold | Sports Co-Editor

The Buena Vista University (BVU) Athletic Training program has welcomed two new Assistant Athletic Trainers to their staff for the 2013-2014 year: Jeff Giovannucci and Jamie Schoenheer.

Jeff Giovannucci received his undergraduate degree from Kent State University where he received a Bachelor of Science with a concentration in athletic training. His time at Kent State University allowed him to work with the football, gymnastics, wrestling, and men’s basketball teams. From there, Giovannucci went to New Mexico State University where he worked with the cross country and track and field teams. Along with assisting several athletic teams he also received his Master of Arts in Education. Giovannucci was happy about the career path he took.

“I ran track and field for almost 17 years of my life, and when I went to Kent State, I had to make the decision whether I wanted to be an athlete or go for my education to become a health care provider. After looking into everything, I decided that I was there for an education but still did not want to lose the feeling of being part of a team,” Giovannucci said.

As for joining the BVU Athletic Training staff, Giovannucci thought it would be an amazing opportunity and experience to truly challenge and grow as a professional.

“When coming to visit and interview here at BVU, the aspect that really sold the campus, community, and university overall for me, was the amazing support staff and faculty that is here. I immediately saw that here at BVU there is such a strong pull towards having a supportive atmosphere just like a family,” Giovannucci said.

This semester, Giovannucci has been working with the men’s soccer team, and he will join indoor and outdoor track and field for the winter and spring season.

Jamie Schoenheer received her undergraduate degree in Athletic Training here at BVU. From there, she went to graduate school at Western Illinois University, where she assisted with softball, swimming and diving, and tennis. After graduating with her masters, she joined the University of Wyoming Athletic training staff, working with football and women’s soccer.

“I became an athletic trainer by accident. I injured my knee and went to an athletic trainer for my rehab instead of physical therapy. I went to three different high schools for rehab and discovered different aspects of athletic training. Who wouldn’t want to get paid to watch sports?” Schoenheer said.

Schoenheer was excited to come back home to give back to the athletic training profession, teaching and working with students, and the culture of the BVU campus. She has been working with women’s soccer and women’s golf. For the winter season, she will work with wrestling and then end with men’s golf for the spring.

Both Giovannucci and Schoeneer are excited about their new positions on the BVU Athletic Training staff, in both the teaching and health care to athletes aspects.

“I enjoy making an impact and a difference in others’ lives, and this job gives me the opportunity to do that,” Giovannucci said.

Photos courtesy of Steven Phelps