Who’s who in Beaver sports: Tyler Stolen

Jordan Henningsen | Staff Writer

Stolen_TylerTyler Stolen, a freshman punter/placekicker from Sioux City, IA, has been recognized yet, again, for his outstanding performance on the field. For the second week in a row, Stolen has been named the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) Football Special Teams Performer of the Week. Although he is just beginning his collegiate career, Stolen is making his name known here at Buena Vista University (BVU) and all across the IIAC.

Aside from wanting to play football, Stolen decided to come to BVU because he really liked the campus and he wanted to get away from home, but he didn’t want to go too far so he could visit often. Currently, he majors in Biology, but he is looking to switch to Human Performance major so he can pursue a career in strength and conditioning.

Although Stolen has received multiple individual accolades this season, his focus is always on the team.

“My favorite part about BVU football is my teammates. They don’t treat me like a freshman but as one of their own,” Stolen said.

Teammates and coaches also speak highly of Stolen and refer to him as having a “golden leg”. They are impressed by how he has played this season in his collegiate debut. His confidence in his ability is very apparent to everyone who watches him perform.

“He pushes himself very hard and expects his best every time he walks on the field to kick. The team has complete confidence that the ball is going through the uprights every time he takes the field,” Student Coach Bo Darrow said.

“Stolen is a very important part of our Special Teams. We can always rely on him to do his job,” junior wide receiver Gunner Gilland said.

Stolen has high expectations for his freshman season.

“A personal goal of mine has been to be the 1st Team All-Conference kicker,” Stolen said.

Currently, Stolen is a perfect 18-18 on all of his PATs as well as continuing to lead the IIAC in average yards per punt with 40.9, which keeps him on track to reach his goals. Along with that, Stolen has 10 field goals on the year and hit an impressive career-best 46-yard field goal earlier this season against Concordia-Moorhead.

The Beavers are back on the road for the last time this season for their Iowa Conference match-up at Simpson College on Saturday, Nov. 9. Kick-off in Indianola is set for 1:00 pm.

Photo courtesy of Steven Phelps