Time for the annual edition of ‘Meet the Beavs’

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

Grady-Head-ShotIt’s that time of year again folks! I hope you’re as excited as I am. We got a lot to get to so let’s jump in.

In no particular order, it’s time to Meet The Beavs!!

• Cole Darrow, JR- Cole returns to the club this year as a 2nd team All-Conference performer last year, but you probably already knew that. Most people would call this his “claim to fame,” but no. According to the freshmen volleyball players at BVU, everybody knows Cole Darrow because he can fit 34 grapes in his mouth at one time. That is truly amazing.
• James Shelman, SO- Shelly might be the biggest Hawkeye fan on the team this year (Go Hawks). That being said, he also is the only person I know that lives for NBA post-game interviews. Ladies, you can probably find Shelly on the bench in the weight room if he’s not in the library.
• James Gradert, FR- Some quick facts about “Big Game” James: Favorite Movie- Finding Nemo, Favorite Color- Orange, Favorite Animal- Cow, Favorite Hobby- Ice Skating, Favorite Dance Move- the Wobble, and Favorite Apparel Item- khaki pants.
• Brett Heitkamp, JR- You may know Brett as “The Big 44” from last season. If you don’t know him as “The Big 44” then you probably just know him as Brett. If you’ve never heard of “The Big 44” before, you’re probably not alone. I literally just made that up.
• Paul Gallagher, FR- PGeezy is bred with the blood of great basketball tradition. Unfortunately, Paul’s (and Paul’s only) blood does not also hold good manners, hygiene, or game with the ladies. Just remember Paul, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.
• Bob Ivey, SO- Bob “Sanders” Ivey is not quite as lucky with the blood of great basketball tradition. Although, he does have unique ability in nicknaming team nicknames (Los Bulls, Timber Puppies, etc.). Hopefully this skill will provide useful someday. I’m pulling for ya, Bob.
• Connor Grupe, SR- Ahhhh, the lady jokes just keep on comin. Wait…. Actually….. I got nothing. Hmmm….. Well groomed facial hair…… Nice jump shot…… Numerous twitter followers… From Iowaaaaa. Ha. Ha. I knew it was all too much!
• Owen Statlander, FR- Finally we can get away from girl subjects a little bit. The second of the Minnesotans on this year’s squad loves telling us of his journeys to the boundary waters. Owen received the most votes for “Most Likely to become a Janitor,” in high school.

As you faithful readers are probably thinking, “There’s not much stuff about basketball in this thing…” You’re right. I felt like last year I subjected too many of the guys to “play to the blog” instead of being themselves on the court. I’m having no more of that. I just tell it how it is and you (the fans) can analyze each player’s skills when on the hard wood. So…….. Anyway.

• Alex Savage, JR- Sav’s most recent accomplishment? Telling his roommate to start the Raiders defense in Fantasy football this past weekend. Seven touchdowns by Nick Foles later and -5 fantasy points later, Sav had this to say about the recommendation, “I thought they still had Nnamdi Asomugha.”
• Ryan Green, SO- The only living being I can ever remember admitting that their younger brother is better at basketball than they are, themselves. Know this Green: “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It’s not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” #Preach
• Sean Morgan, FR- I’ll give props to Sean, he’s not afraid to get up in my face and tell me how it is. Seriously, I’ve never hung around a meaner, intimidating, nasty, heartless, grimey, unfriendly, rough, overwhelming, slimy, ghastly, nosy, Pete Carroll-like person. Alright, so I’m kidding Sean but just because you know Joe Frost doesn’t mean you can act like Pete Carroll.
• Kyler Huisman, SO- Kyler is much improved as a basketball player. I also really enjoy his personality and knowledge of the game. We could talk basketball for hours, until he brings up his favorite all-time player, Craig Brackins.
• Nick Wuebker, SO- This guy is a load. Legend has it that he once swallowed a 2nd grade child. Yeah. And you know what else? Nick won the award for “Most likely to wrestle a Zebra” after this year’s preseason workouts. Big time.
• Greg Sibenaller, JR- If I hear one more word about how Westwood football is this year, I might explode. Seriously, one season that equals the school win total of the previous 55 years? Didn’t you run cross country?
• Nick Clark, SO- Nick is no stranger to you faithful readers. One of the only people I know that refuses to say, “Hi,” to all the janitors on campus, says it’s bad luck (What?). Hey Nick, I missed the Bills/Chiefs game…How did Jeff Tuel play?

Before I wrap this up, I just want to say it’s been a pleasure. On a serious note, I can’t wait to see what all these guys can do on the court this year. Nothing is better than a rockin’ Siebens Fieldhouse on a Saturday afternoon. #BeaverNation.

• Tyler Kastantin, JR- A lock for Roommate of the Year. If you want to have a greatly sophisticated and entirely too long texting conversation, this is your guy. As much as I love him, NOTHING annoys me more than when he will not stop singing tunes from the Johnny Depp musical, “Sweeney Todd.”
• Jordan Mensen, SO- Yes, Mensen, I know my dad went to a school in your conference, but that doesn’t mean I went there. Also, I know no one from Starmont, so please stop asking me if I do. Just kidding, Mence. Twins game sometime? Lastly, have you found your phone yet?
• Jarrod Juhl- Juhl is the ageless wonder of this year’s team (Notice no class listing behind the name). Two things I have to say about Juhl: 1. I will never forget when he went off against us in the IMFF Flint, Michigan Mega Bowl, and 2. Hershberger Forever. #Brotherhood
• Kennedy Drey, FR- Ken probably has the most swag of anyone on the team. He says he gets it from watching reruns of “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”. Personally, I think it’s his lack of a good roommate combined with his vast knowledge of Pinterest.
• Sam Lipps, SO- (Singing while looking directly in Kennedy’s eyes, “It’s like you’re my mirror. Whoa-o,” (Justin Timberlake Voice).
• Jeff Stevens, SR- Jeff would like me to let all the readers know that he has “really big muscles”. Well, I guess if that’s all he wanted you to know, I have become useless at this point.
• Thomas McMullin, SO- Thomas is our hall-of-fame caliber manager. Don’t let him fool you, he plays a bigger role in our success than any single player. Alright, so that’s not true, but don’t tell Tom that. It would break his heart. Love ya, Tom.
• Mike Kaufmann, SR- The audacity of this fellow is atrocious. To make a fake Twitter account of yourself just to relinquish the self-pride of making a real one? There are some of us that take the twitter world seriously. Seriously, geez. I’m done here.
• Austin Perry, SO- Pablo is another Chiefs fan on the basketball team. He is also a grill master, huge JT fanatic, and a celebrity in his home town, Norfolk. Seriously Pablo, keep it rolling dude. #AndyReid

Thanks for reading people!!!! If I missed someone, it probably was on purpose.

Photo by Makensie Brown