BVU students offer fitness classes

BVU+students+offer+fitness+classes+

Courtney Van Haaften | Sports Co-Editor

This year at Buena Vista University (BVU), students have had the opportunity to lead their own fitness classes for their peers. Juniors Kirsten VanZuiden and Lesa Turnquist each currently lead classes one night per week to gain experience teaching and pursue their passions for fitness.

Kirsten VanZuiden, a marketing and human resource management major, teaches classes on Tuesday nights. The classes she leads are Cardio Kickboxing from 5:15-6:00 p.m. and Yoga from 6:05-6:35 p.m. VanZuiden has taken workout classes for the last five years, so she uses the opportunity to share her knowledge and motivate other people into staying healthy and fit. image

“I want everyone on campus to have a fun way to workout in a comfortable atmosphere,” VanZuiden said.

Lesa Turnquist, a human performance major, teaches two different classes on Wednesday evenings. Her Total Body Conditioning (TBC) class is from 5:15-6:00 p.m. Core Pilates follows from 6:05 to 6:35 p.m. TBC combines cardio and resistance workouts, while Core Pilates involves targeting the five core areas. These classes are giving Turnquist the experience she needs in order to further her career.

“It is exactly what I want to do as a career. I have a passion for fitness, and teaching these classes here at BVU is giving me a unique experience,” Turnquist said.

These classes take place in the Wellness Room, located in the basement of Siebens Fieldhouse. They provide small class sizes for an atmosphere that promotes learning and working together to achieve each person’s individual health and fitness goals.

Director of Recreation Services, Ellen Schiltz, gave VanZuiden and Turnquist the guidance they needed in order to have successful classes.

“I have learned a ton about teaching group classes from Ellen Schiltz, my fitness advisor. She has been amazing in teaching me and giving me feedback, which most people do not get when they first start teaching these classes,” Turnquist said.

Schiltz also leads her own set of classes on Monday nights at the same times. She teaches TBC and Yoga. Both VanZuiden and Turnquist highly encourage their peers to take advantage of this awesome opportunity BVU offers to its students.

“For people who have never attended my classes, I suggest they take advantage of this free opportunity to participate in and learn about fitness. Most people pay a lot of money to attend these types of classes, so use this time at BVU to enjoy these classes and figure out what you like,” Turnquist said.

“I would encourage you to attend a class if you haven’t in the past. Classes are a good way to break up your study time and increase your mood. Going into the winter season we are kind of limited to working out inside, and classes keep you from getting bored,” VanZuiden said.

Group classes have many benefits for people who are looking to stay fit. It’s a great way to feel healthier and be in a better mood while making new friends and interacting with others in a fun atmosphere.

Photo by Courtney VanHaaften