Great weekend in sports

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

Grady-Head-ShotHello everybody!

What a great weekend in sports. Auburn’s electrifying hail mary. Andre Iquodala’s buzzer beater (Thursday). The Cyclones prove, yet again, that Hilton Magic is real (I think their football team wishes they played in Hilton). I lost two burritos thanks to Stanford and my Chiefs. The Beaver basketball squads kicked off their season. (Slow start, but they’ll turn it around). And, last but not least, the Beaver football squad ends their season with another W, in dramatic fashion. #Stolen4Heisman

What to talk about this week? Well, first, I saw that both Iowa and Iowa State basketball were ranked in the top 25. The last time that happened? ’96. No, I can’t quite remember the stat but I do know this week was the first time Iowa has been ranked since the ’05-’06 season. Just for some perspective with that stat: I was in 7th grade the last time Iowa was ranked. (#FranIsTheMan). It’s too early for predictions of the game on December 13th (at Hilton), but I do think Michigan was not worthy of their top 10 ranking, especially with an unhealthy Mitch McGary. Anyway, it should be interesting. I think both teams are “Big Dance” quality but I want them to get somewhere in March for once. (Cue Aaron Craft shooting a three).

Speaking of Aaron Craft, Ohio State played Marquette on Saturday. Marquette totaled 35 points in the contest. TOTALED. The funny thing is, when I first learned this, I was not surprised at all. Marquette shot 19% from the field in the game (10-fifty something). I can’t even think of a sly remark about Cole Darrow’s free throw percentage to compare that to. That is Big East Basketball in a nut shell. Wait Grady, I don’t think Marquette is in the Big East anymore? True, I don’t think they are, but you get what I mean.

I haven’t talked enough about Beaver football this year, so I just wanna say a couple things. First, we need to get at least one cupcake game in the schedule. I mean seriously, could they have played tougher competition to start the year? Yet, they were in those games and were a couple of plays away from victories. Next, how bout a cool video for the big screen outside to get the fans going before kickoff? I like the idea. Lastly, just like last year, the Beavers improved immensely from beginning to end. I think with an excellent off-season, we can expect bigger things from the squad next season!

“What do you think of the Blazers, G?”

Well, they’ve got a pretty good 1-2 punch in Lillard and Aldridge. I’m excited to see how good they’ll be when CJ McCollum returns from injury.

“How are your fantasy teams doin?”

It’s been a rough year all around. Not rough, but average. And in fantasy football, average doesn’t cut it. I’ll take one more.

“Cincy or Houston this Saturday?”

I’ll take Houston.
Thanks for reading!

Photo by Tyson Jay Domingo