Senior students direct one act plays

Cassie Forsyth | Arts & Life Co-Editor

Seniors Kadie Dennison and Hannah Jo Anderson are producing two student-directed one act plays that will premiere Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 7:30 p.m. in Anderson Auditorium. The plays will be performed each night until Saturday, Feb. 15.

Dennison and Anderson spent most of their January creating their plays. The two student directors took an upper-level class on production and performance. They worked on sets, finding props, costumes, and other elements to develop the productions. During the afternoons and evenings, they held rehearsals with their casts.

With the help of her assistant director, sophomore Seth Mecklenburg, Anderson is directing “The Dumb Waiter,” originally written by Harold Pinter. The play involves two characters, played by sophomore Caleb Ryerson and freshman Spencer Bottorff, who are in an unknown location. Tension arises as these characters wait to receive a message. Anderson chose these two actors because she was able to envision the play as she saw them work together.

The play originally struck Anderson’s attention at the beginning of her college career. After she read the play, she wanted to direct it because of the tension and the extensive work that would need to be put into directing it.

“It’s the building of tension and the uses of silences and how there’s always that thought process that goes into every moment of the show. It’s not just what’s said with the lines but how the characters deal with each other as well,” Anderson said.

Anderson felt she would enjoy working with the play because of all the complications she would need to work out. While any other play may have been easier to direct, she wanted to accept the challenge of working on something more difficult. The play only calls for two actors, which also posed a challenge.

“Since there’s only two people in my show, I have to think of composition and how we use that space between them so much differently,” Anderson said. “Having those challenges becomes really good.”

Anderson prepared to direct by trying out for shows and watching other professors direct. She also took acting and directing classes.

“I think one of the best ways to learn how to direct is by acting because then you’ll know on stage how things move and how things work,” Anderson said.

At this point, Anderson still isn’t sure if directing is something she wants to do with the rest of her life, but it is a possibility. If she chooses to go to graduate school, she would consider directing.

“Sometimes I think maybe I’m suited for more of an acting standpoint or doing something with marketing in the theater. What I do know is that I want to do something in the theater,” Anderson said. “That has never changed in the last 10 years of my life.”

Dennison is directing the show “Trifles,” written by Susan Glaspell who is a well known woman playwright. Freshmen Matt Schulz, Colin Hansen, Makenzie Mauntler, Zach Mueggenberg and junior Nicole Boysen are all actors in the play, with the help from senior Bailey Dean as Dennison’s assistant.

The play is based on the true story of the Hossack murder from outside of Indianola, Iowa in 1900. Men and women arrive at the house to investigate the murder. The men fail to look in the right places for the evidence, and the women end up finding clear evidence by themselves.

“This play really investigates moral justice versus what the law says is right. They feel that maybe she was justified, and they struggle with obeying the law, obeying their husbands, and also protecting their gender and protecting their own,” Dennison said.

The play is important to Dennison because of the themes it reveals.

“It’s about struggling with loneliness and how we all talk to people every day, and we see them, and we never really know what’s going on with them. We all feel so lonely, but we’re all right here. And why is that, and why do we not confide in others when we’re having problems and help others when they need it, and we know they need it, and we just ignore it?” Dennison said.

Dennison wanted to direct the play because she is interested in the way women and men communicate. Because she is a theater and communications major, she enjoys the interpersonal dynamic between the men and women in the play.

“Why do the different genders have a hard time understanding the other, and why do some people feel that they’re superior to other people? Sometimes it’s the people who are quietly standing there who have the answers, and we never give them the chance to give them to us,” Dennison said.

Dennison took the opportunity to direct a play because of her love for theater. Her main love, though, is acting.

“I also feel that sometimes I have some really good ideas, and to be able to mold something into my own and really bring to life what it means to me in a whole vision is something I’ve never really done before,” Dennison said. “And it was just a fun opportunity to really get in there and push myself creatively.”

Dennison also enjoys working with other actors to push them to where they need to be. She enjoys the process of acting and going through it with other people. The solid relationship with her cast will also help the production succeed.

“We’re all equals, and we’re all working together, creating together. We create a vision that is truly everyone working together, and I think that’s what I focus on as a director, the cohesion and giving people their ability to experiment and take risks,” Dennison said.

The most important part to Dennison is the honesty the characters create. Even if nothing else goes smoothly, as long as the characters are honest, the play will succeed.

“The play will come to life, and it will mean something to people,” Dennison said.

Dennison struggles with the dynamic of a student directing other students because she has to draw a line between being a director and a friend. The most rewarding part of directing for her is the final product and seeing all the hard work pay off.

“You’ve been pushing them to the brink, and they’re just so emotionally drained, and you just keep pushing. All of a sudden you step back, and they’re on the stage, and they’re doing it, and you’re getting goose bumps,” Dennison said. “Being able to share that experience with them to show them what they’ve done. This is what I’ve wanted the whole time, and seeing them realize that has been really rewarding me.”

Anderson hopes people will attend the plays in order to show appreciation towards the hard work put into them. Because they are doing two productions, everything is doubled, including the sets, the actors’ commitment, and how much time Dennison and Anderson have both spent on the shows. They also didn’t have a long period of time to put it all together.

“Being able to put a production together in such a short time span is really something to be admired by people,” Anderson said.

Dennison believes theater gives the audience a chance to reflect on who they are and what society is about.

“Are there things about society that are good and are there things about it that aren’t so good, and how do we navigate and build our relationship with others? It’s a cathartic experience,” Dennison said. “You come to the theater and you feel something. That’s what we all want out of life, and in my show and Hannah’s too, you will definitely feel something.”

Photos by Tyson Domingo