Caitlin Clark is cool, but I still don’t care about sports.
The Forgotten Member of the Five Freedoms
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus
1st Amendment Week: Assembly on Campus

Mr. 3000

Mr.+3000

Grady Gallagher | Blogger

“And he missed it, gotta hurry. Five to go. Lewis, has been awesome, lets it go…. DRAINS IT HOMEEEEEEE. Lavender, three quarter court, and we’re going to overtime, in Lexington. HA HA. College basketball. CBS Sports. THIS IS MARCH MADNESS!”

That was the call from Gus Johnson at the end of regulation of the Ohio St./ Xavier game in March, 2007. Also, it was Paul’s phone’s answering machine for the last two years. Shout out to lil AG….. sorry, PG on his blog last week. Not bad, kid.

Anyway, I don’t normally do this, but I’m going to tell you about my experience last Saturday night in Omaha. At the beginning of last week, I looked at Creighton’s schedule and saw they played Providence at home on Saturday. I had to go. I immediately texted Cole Darrow, valiant CU fan and Omaha-area native, in order to start asking for tickets. Doug McDermott’s last game in Century Link, yea, probably not the cheapest or easiest ticket in town. Although, it just so happens one of my good friends from high school plays in the Jays pep band. I thought, “It’s worth a shot, G,” so I texted him, asking for a ticket. His response, “Can you play the tambourine?” WHAT? I mean, how do you respond to that? I said, “Sure. Can you get me in?” He said yes. I was skeptical the entire week on his plan, as Drew had been known as a guy to take obscene chances.

So, I get down there Saturday night, we meet the other pep band members and travel to the game by bus. I’m wearing a band polo but literally had other identification when we walk right by security to the back entrance. I could’ve literally been a hobo on the street with a Creighton polo on and walked right in. Un-believable. So, we’re walking through the tunnels underneath the seats and Providence team members walk right past. No big deal. I thought it was so cool. Literally, none of the actual band members care. Now that I think about it, I must fit the band kid stereotype because no one offered any confused or obscene stares in my direction. #BandSwag. Next thing I know, we’re coming out of the tunnel and we’re right next to the floor. Douggie and the rest of the team are shooting around. I’m literally in shock that this worked. So, I try not to get in the way while the band sets up and try not to look shell shocked and totally out of place (I had to look lost). Everyone in the band is so nice/weird/nerdy/totally not caring that one of the greatest players to play college basketball is about to play his last home game. It was insane.

So now, it’s game time, and I’m not talking about basketball. I also happen to have went to high school with the piano player in the band (#IamFriendsWithNerds) so I decided I would stand between her and the bell player (McGlovin)(really a nice guy). We literally stood front row, on the floor with only a security guard between us and the court (he was awesome, might I add, the security guard). We started playing songs twenty five minutes before tip-off. I softly hit the wood block I was given at the start, just trying to not screw up. Gosh, it was a blast. If there was a song I knew, I’d give a hip swing or head bob. Yeah, I was feelin it. Drew either played the drum set or danced around in his vest like an idiot. It was awesome. During the game, the band was in charge of playing one song during the TV timeouts. My favorite plays from the night were “Shout It Out” from the movie Drumline, and the Creighton school song. At least I think it was their school song. All of the band people were so nice and it was a great time. Yea, they didn’t know the most about basketball, but it’s always fun to watch the game with people that mean well but just don’t quite get it. (Example: McGlovin turned to me at one point after Doug made a three and asked, “You would think, at some point, the other team would stop letting him score.”) One last shout out to the Trombone player that stood behind me. I don’t think he missed a note all night. Truly the McBuckets of Tromboning.

Alright, now let’s talk about the actual game. Not a seat was open in that place, yet I stand 8 ft away from the floor. So undeserving, yet so satisfying. Let’s just say Doug was not letting this night not be his night. Don’t let the term “Providence” mislead you about how outstanding his performance was, they’re no slouch. They had some big dudes. Also, if I’m not mistaken, they finished 3rd in the Big East standings. Doug’s just on another level. Simple as that. The night was about him. As hard as people tried to not make it about him, it was, and it should have been. Most memorable moment for me during the game: When he dripped that 3000th point, the building just went absolutely, positively nutty. Providence came down and knocked down a three within the next 10 sec on the possession after. Not a voice was deterred. Drew turned to me, both of us still going nuts, and said, “We don’t care!” Hahaha. Literally, that eruption lasted for 5 straight minutes because a timeout was called for recognition. Chills. 3000 points. We won’t see that again. Think about it…….. I was there. And I was in the band.

Some other cool moments during the game: when Doug threw down two handed (he got up), when Doug scored point #45 (a career best, on senior night), and when the seniors were individually taken out, one by one with just over a minute left in the contest. That was cool. Well played, Coach McDermott.

After the game, it’s Creighton tradition for seniors to be recognized at midcourt with their parents. The PA guy rattles off everyone’s career accomplishments, they play a video highlight mix for each on the big screen, and each of the seniors gives a speech. I know this is not nice of me, but I’m not giving any details to anyone about how cool this ceremony is and the specific events that took place, because only those who were there are worthy. I will say this, not a person in the building had left to miss it. I was there……… and I was in the band.

Until next week!

GO BVU TENNIS!