Spring athletes rack up IIAC honors

Maggie Ramold | Sports Co-Editor

With the start of the spring seasons for baseball, softball, and track, several Buena Vista University (BVU) athletes have been recognized for their play by the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC).

BVU baseball has had a successful start to their season, and with this, several players have been noticed by the IIAC. Senior Jon Ringblom has earned Pitcher of the Week twice, while junior Scott Harris recently earned Pitcher of the Week as well.

“It is a huge honor because the Iowa Conference thought that I was the best pitcher during that week. Individual accolades are nice, but I want to win a conference championship and I think we have the team that can easily win it if we play the way we know we can,” Harris said.

The baseball team has also had sophomores Brandon Wessels and Neil Marshall honored for their performances on the field. Wessels and Marshall were awarded with IIAC Male Athlete of the Week and Position Player Performer of the Week, respectively.

The BVU baseball team is looking forward to more success and to eventually make a trip back to the College World Series.

“We just need to take one game at a time and accomplish smaller individual and team goals in order to reach our ultimate goal,” Marshall said.

The 24th ranked Beavers continued their conference play with a series at Simpson College on Friday, April 4th and Saturday, April 5th with start times at 3:30 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. respectively.

In softball, junior outfielder Stephanie Hayden was recognized as the IIAC Female Athlete of the Week after her performance during the softball’s spring break travel to Clermont, Florida.

“It’s unbelievable to be honored by the IIAC. The softball teams and athletes within the IIAC are extremely talented and skilled. Therefore, it truly is an honor to be recognized,” Hayden said.

The BVU softball team will take the field at home today against Central College with games starting at 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.

Senior high jumper Nolan Sampson has also had a successful start to his track season. During the Viking Olympics hosted by Augustana College, Sampson won his first career title clearing 6’ 9.75”. His jump was not only his career best, he is also currently in a three-way tie for the best mark in Division III for the year.

After Sampson’s performance at the Viking Olympics, Sampson was awarded IIAC Men’s Track and Field Performer of the Week. Sampson and the rest of the BVU track team will take part in the Jim Duncan Relays this Friday, April 11th and Saturday, April 12th in Des Moines starting at 3:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. respectively.

Graphic by Justice Gage