Dimig and Galm present senior exhibitions in art gallery

Dimig+and+Galm+present+senior+exhibitions+in+art+gallery+

Cassie Forsyth | Arts & Life Co-Editor

The Buena Vista University (BVU) art gallery currently displays the senior exhibitions of graphic design major and sales minor Jennifer Dimig and art major and gender and women’s studies minor Jennifer Galm. Dimig and Galm’s works will be up until Thursday, May 1.

Beach House by Jennifer Dimig

Dimig chose to make up a t-shirt shop that consists of poster advertisements, t-shirt print designs, a store sign, an hour sign, and a t-shirt order form. The t-shirt order form is available to pick up, and t-shirts can actually be ordered.

She got the idea for her show after going on spring break and seeing the little shops where customers were able to pick a design and the color of their shirt. She also really likes t-shirt designing, so the idea became a natural selection. She stuck with this idea since her first proposal her junior year.

Dimig incorporates her sales minor because the classes she has taken for it give her an idea of what appeals to people.

“I like humor and play on words,” Dimig said.

Dimig hopes to attract people to her designs with the cohesive unity of the Beach House.

Revisions by Jennifer Galm

Galm’s art exhibition includes encaustics, sculptures, mixed media, and ceramics.

The show was inspired by looking through Cosmo magazines and growing frustrated with the way women were portrayed and over-sexualized. She realized Cosmo is geared more toward men rather than women, and it is all about making women more pleasing to men.

“I started thinking about myself and what I’ve done to myself to make myself more attractive, more sexually alluring, or whatever,” Galm said. “That’s where the whole concept came from.”

Galm incorporates her minor through every piece. Her encaustics pieces are about domesticity. One of them relates being a housewife to being in jail because she had experienced having no outlet in that situation.

Her large, outdoor sculpture is called “Embrace.” She built this with the money she received from winning the Mac Hornecker grant last year.

“After looking at all these things and how society and media are trying to shape us into something else, that one is about embracing yourself and who you are,” Galm said.

Each of the pieces in her show revolves around women’s beauty, showing that women are more than their appearance.

Photos by Scott Locati